C+C Please :) Correct exposure?

lepierce3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all :D I recently did a session with my sister and her boyfriend for some practice, and they seemed nice and bright on my camera screen (I know, not the best way to tell buut they looked better than anything I've done before, so I was pretty excited), but when I uploaded them on my computer I was disappointed. They didn't look exposed correctly (even though I thought the histograms on some looked about right), and they were dark. Well I killed my computer with photoshop so I used some of the schools computers for the first time, and the photo's looked SO much better! I am pretty sure that those screens are calibrated, while I know that mine is not. I have not edited these at all yet, so that will probably make them a little better, but I just wanted to know which computer was showing the colors better before I went too far...

-So mainly what I wanted to know on these was if the exposure and colors were good (aside from having too much red)

-Also, if the sharpness was ok.

And also any general C+C. I do feel like these are the best I've done yet, which is exciting, but I still need to get a whole lot better, so anything helps! Thank you!

P3146753.jpg

P3146709.jpg

3. Ignore the bottle and tire in this one, I plan to photoshop it out.
P3146745.jpg

They lack sharpness, lighting and color to me. they aren't BAD, but kind of blah. (thats just my opinion and I hope you dont take my C+C to harsh, especially since you are so excited about them.)

Not at all, the color and lighting sucks on my computer too, but way better on the school computer, so I wasn't sure which one was closer to the truth xD And yeah, I agree with the sharpness too. Any advice for better sharpness? I just cant seem to get it right. I don't remember my shutter speed, but I know I was using an iso of 400, and I can't remember what I set my white balance at either (gah that's terrible isn't it?)

I'm still learning myself so I dont know if I would be helping or doing you more harm. If this was my shot and I was looking to increase sharpess and lighting, I would go +1 EV and play with your focal points and create more depth of field.

example-2nd picture...I think it would have been a better picture if there were better composition of your subjects. For instance, if you had them standing more to the left of the photo (or had more background to the right) you could have focused on them (using a focal point) and large aperature (blurred the background) which would have created more depth in your shot.

(LOL, Again I could be leading you down the wrong path here)

Your exposures are fine. You're right about the red. Otherwise your photos are flat (lack contrast) and would benefit from being a tad darker and sharpened. I have a very well calibrated display and here's how I adjusted one of your photos to look correct.

Joe

portrait_galvanized.jpg

1. There is just to much going on in the frame, to many conflicting line to draw or move ones eyes around. I though have not been a fan of the tilted portrait shot though.

2. The lighting and the small paint area in the upper right bother me, have you tried to see what this would look like with B&W with a stronger contrast? It does provide an emotional anchor though with the subjects.

3. I wonder about a B&W image here as well, it help pull the focus to the guy more

Your photos seem to run warm and have too much yellow. Some additional flash would help with the exposure. but your on the right track.

try bumping the contrast a little or a lot depending on the effect you want. They're nice shots, you just need to make them karate chop me in the face!

Looks oversaturaded and too much contrast. Why would you shoot a portrait at f 8 and 38mm? When you have a distracting background use the smallest aperture that you can tele end of you zoom. I've try to fix the photo little bit. Here is my take.

$edit fix-1.jpg

Looks oversaturaded and too much contrast. Why would you shoot a portrait at f 8 and 38mm? When you have a distracting background use the smallest aperture that you can tele end of you zoom. I've try to fix the photo little bit. Here is my take.

View attachment 5188

Worse than original

Huh? Small aperture? Because of distracting background? Dont you mean LARGER aperture?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back