C&C Please... I know there is so much "wrong" But.....

tmjjk

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$IMG_6235.jpg

I know this should be portrait orientation and I know the rule of thirds was disrespected...
This is not my child so I do not have mommy goggles on, but there is something here I find appealing. He would not stay still, he was like a little imp jumping all over the place and I just captured this somewhere in between. There are many more in the set that are portrait orientation and more "technically" right, but what do you think about this?

I really like the image. He needs some contrast in his head as it's kind of blending into the background a bit and feels flat. His shirt really draws you because it's so dark. Otherwise I really like it!

I like it. The orientation is fine -- the negative space left is not gigantic, and there's a bit of visual flow left to right with the tilt of the head, so that's fine from my point of view.

Rule of thirds? Eff the rule of thirds. It's not a rule and most of the conventional wisdom about it in photographic circles is wrong anyways. The placement of forms in the frame is just fine.

My only quibble is that the b&w conversion seems to have subtly mottled his skin. This is very common in b&w conversions, skin that looks smooth and clear in color will sometimes come out subtly mottled (or sometimes not so subtly) when you convert. I would go back and fiddle with the conversion and see if you can get the tones a little smoother, particular on his cheek frame-left, in the slightly shaded part.

Rule of thirds? Eff the rule of thirds. It's not a rule and most of the conventional wisdom about it in photographic circles is wrong anyways.

:thumbup:

A lot of wasted pixels on left, portrait mode may have been better?

I like it. The orientation is fine -- the negative space left is not gigantic, and there's a bit of visual flow left to right with the tilt of the head, so that's fine from my point of view.

Rule of thirds? Eff the rule of thirds. It's not a rule and most of the conventional wisdom about it in photographic circles is wrong anyways. The placement of forms in the frame is just fine.

My only quibble is that the b&w conversion seems to have subtly mottled his skin. This is very common in b&w conversions, skin that looks smooth and clear in color will sometimes come out subtly mottled (or sometimes not so subtly) when you convert. I would go back and fiddle with the conversion and see if you can get the tones a little smoother, particular on his cheek frame-left, in the slightly shaded part.

Rule of thirds? Eff the rule of thirds. It's not a rule and most of the conventional wisdom about it in photographic circles is wrong anyways.

:thumbup:

Agreed. Its become Mundane. Open any current Cosmo or Vogue magazine and its almost like they're avoiding and breaking the rules. Also its common in the fashion arena to see hands and feet partially chopped off nowadays.

Good-bye mundane "rules"

I like this image. I do find the background a bit bright which is distracting to my eye. Some more contrast may help.

Ok.... I tried to make it portrait, I smoothed the skin a little, and I use a contrast adjustment brush to go around the frame of his hair. I was shooting at 2.8 so I think it's just soft around his hair. (not Program mode)

$IMG_6235-2.jpg

Nicely done, although I liked the original crop just fine ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back