C & C please- kind of carried over from post yesterday

Would you suggest cropping off the top and bottom, leaving equal space above the head, and below the feet?

Needs just a tad bit more space on the right edge
2ffde242.png

4d6d1f0c.png

Derrel is right. I too prefer landscape ratio, rather than portrait.

Wow, I must admit I'm totally lost with this whole sizing thing. I've done some searching, but seems like everything I look it is still geared towards people who have some clue of what an aspect ratio is.. I don't! LOL

One of my concerns with these photos is of course my friend wants to print some of these and I'm worried how they will turn out printed.
Are there any really good tutorials out there that you know of on how to do this?

What software at you using for editing? There should be options, or guides for standard crops.

It is that little something you have to keep in mind while editing. Is this going in a ready made 8x10 frame? Will the recipient be willing to get a custom frame for your (odd) sized print? My crops are not to standard, I did them on a mobile device. Just to be clear.

Notice how each version has a distinct feel to it? In time you will start getting the hang of that "feeling" when cropping.

Last edited:
What software at you using for editing? There should be options, or guides for standard crops.

It is that little something you have to keep in mind while editing. Is this going in a ready made 8x10 frame? Will the recipient be willing to get a custom frame for your (odd) sized print? My crops are not to standard, I did them on a mobile device. Just to be clear.

Notice how each version has a distinct feel to it? In time you will start getting the hang of that "feeling" when cropping.

Right now, all I have is Lightroom 3, and I do use Gimp some but didn't in any of these photos.
In Lightroom, under apsect ratio I get options like 1X1 4X5/8X10 and ect. If I chose these I can see where it changes the photo size, but when exporting, is there something I have to do there? I get the options to change Width and Height, but here is where I know nothing about what to put there.
And I know this sounds like the dumbest question and probably is, by picking let's say 4x5/8x10 under ratio, is this sizing the photo to fit that size printed paper?from 4x5 all the way to an 8x10? (obvious answer I'm sure) and if so, then what is the sizing upon exporting?
Sorry for the questions.. I feel like I'm having to be spoon fed this information right now..LOL But I do greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond.

BTW, I do notice the difference in the crops..I like them, my choice between the two would be the landscape version

Yes! You can crop in lightroom using the standard selection ratios.

You only would change the height and width upon saving if you wanted a small file to post on h intertubes, but that has nothing to do with cropping.

Yes! You can crop in lightroom using the standard selection ratios.

You only would change the height and width upon saving if you wanted a small file to post on h intertubes, but that has nothing to do with cropping.

Great, thanks! I learned something!

Mom and child are to small in the frame.

Keith! Come on! Not YOU!

Fixed.

"C'mon," would have also been acceptable. :lmao:

MC, I just want to suggest that you watch how you crop. Try to stay to standard crop ratios, or even square. There is actually science behind crop ratios, and how the eye and brain see things. Your crop is not quite square and not quite rectangular. It's in that in between, awkward shape.

:)

It's okay Bitter, I've got'cher back.

All the grammar and spelling corrections make me :lmao:. And I'm typing on a laptop with no keys...only little nubs thanks to my 2 yr old who pulled them all off.

In Lightroom, under apsect ratio I get options like 1X1 4X5/8X10 and ect. If I chose these I can see where it changes the photo size, but when exporting, is there something I have to do there? I get the options to change Width and Height, but here is where I know nothing about what to put there.
And I know this sounds like the dumbest question and probably is, by picking let's say 4x5/8x10 under ratio, is this sizing the photo to fit that size printed paper?from 4x5 all the way to an 8x10? (obvious answer I'm sure) and if so, then what is the sizing upon exporting?
Sorry for the questions.. I feel like I'm having to be spoon fed this information right now..LOL But I do greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I'll try to explain without causing further confusion.

Aspect ratio is the relationship of width to hieght. So, if your AR was 2:3, for every 2" in width, you have 3" in height. 4x6 fits this particular aspect ratio, so would, say 6x9. It doesn't lock you into a specific size of paper, but rather the aspect ratio of the paper. A photo sized at 4x6 would print perfectly on a piece of 6x9 paper, or 2x3 paper. The problem occurs when you try to print a pic of a particular aspect ratio on paper with a differing aspect ratio. For example, printing a pic sized to an AR of 2:3 as an 8x10 (different AR), you would have to crop to the AR of an 8x10 piece of paper, otherwise your printer will automatically crop it, usually along the right side and bottom, if memory serves.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back