C&C Please - Old Barn

You dont just put your light meter to 0. Your meter might be pointing at a bright spot, or super dark shadow. You could be taking a pic of a very dark african man, or you could be taking a picture of a very light irish lady where putting it to 0 is not always correct. There are also many different exposure mode and if you dont understand them completely, you probably have the wrong exposure.

I really dont have an ego. Im just asking for "corrective" criticism here folks. Something I can work with. I got it in the first two replies. Then it went downhill with a couple of comments afterward. I cant seem to make friends here for some reason and in real life, its not this hard.

You dont just put your light meter to 0. Your meter might be pointing at a bright spot, or super dark shadow. You could be taking a pic of a very dark african man, or you could be taking a picture of a very light irish lady where putting it to 0 is not always correct. There are also many different exposure mode and if you dont understand them completely, you probably have the wrong exposure.

I was told to check my meter with the sky. But what if the thing Im photographing isnt in full sun? Do I check my meter then at something in the shade, like the tree? I think I should have brought my iso down on this one like a few had mentioned and it would have helped. Right? My exposure reading showed 0 so can I assume my iso was what made this off?

You need to chill..........it is just a shot of a guy in front of a barn. It's just not that interesting. People here will try to help you but you need to leave YOUR ego at the door.

I wasnt asking if it was interesting. I guess I was asking more along the lines of lighting correction and more technical stuff. I understand we all dont share the same interests in what to photograph. Im good with that.

YOUR COMMENT WASNT C&C DUDE. YOUR COMMENT HAD NOTHING IN IT THAT HELPED ME IMPROVE MY PHOTO. GIVE ME SOME GOOD C&C PLEASE; NOT YOUR PHOTO STYLE OPINION OF WHAT SHOULD BE IN A PHOTO OR WHAT SHOULDNT BE. I DO NOT HAVE THIN SKIN. I JUST CANT STAND PEOPLE WITH EGO'S LIKE YOURS. YOU BROUGHT NOTHING TO HELP ME IMPROVE MY PHOTO WHATSOEVER. YOU HAD NO OPINION ON LIGHTING. ALL YOU SAID WAS THAT YOU DIDNT LIKE THE BEAT UP BARN AND A GUY IN FRONT OF IT. HOW DOES THAT HELP ME IMPROVE MY PHOTO? I DIDNT ASK IF YOU LIKED THE SHOT. I ASKED FOR OPINIONS ON IMPROVING IT. GET A LIFE.

I said your composition was lacking. So, work on your composition. Not overly detailed assistance, I'll give you... let's just say I put about as much into my critique as you did into trying to learn from it.

I said nothing about whether or not I liked the shot or the elements in it. That wouldn't have been a critique so much as sharing a personal reaction. You're probably not familiar with the difference, however.

I didn't think further commentary on your "lighting" was necessary. In fact, I figured beating you up some more for using ISO400 would have been fairly rude. No? You'd like me to bring that up some more? Ok, can do.... Hey! Using ISO400 in bright light is kinda dumb. There. Feel better? I know I do.

And who are you to say whether my critique is appropriate or not? Or what "good" C&C even is? Your shot didn't have enough to even bother commenting on beyond what was said. There's nothing to it. No story, no message, no emotion, no play on patterns or colors... nothing. It's a snapshot. There is nothing to comment on. You don't probably understand that, but again... as I said... you're just going to scream at anyone you disagree with.

You don't have the foggiest clue, who I am or what my ego is all about. You haven't been around here for the past 6 years as I have grown and learned, contributed to others' learning, etc. You're on shoddy ground to be judging anyone around here, but you're spending a heap load of energy doing just that.

Anyway, I'm beyond done with you. People like you crack me up, but I've had enough for one night and this thread is going to be a total karma train wreck. :lol:

Good luck with your new found endeavor!

Do you understand if you put the ISO to 100 you could have done exactly the same shot with shutter speed of 1/125 sec which is plenty fast for a subject that is just squatting in front of a barn? The higher your ISO, the more noise you have.

I suggest you go trough this

Cambridge in Colour - Photography Tutorials & Learning Community

Understanding exposure is not that hard. BUT it is very hard to explain it to beginners. Do your homework, youll get it.

Do you understand if you put the ISO to 100 you could have done exactly the same shot with shutter speed of 1/125 sec which is plenty fast for a subject that is just squatting in front of a barn? The higher your ISO, the more noise you have.

Understanding exposure is not that hard. BUT it is very hard to explain it to beginners. Do your homework, youll get it.

This is an easy to understand site, thanks.

I do now. Kinda. What Ive kinda figured out is that if I set my aperture and my iso "right", I just have to adjust my shutter speed for light. I goofed here because I started off with my iso wrong. Is that correct? I will read the link you provided. Its so much to take in that it can be so confusing. Right when I think Ive got it, I realize I dont. LOL. Thanks!

I do now. Kinda. What Ive kinda figured out is that if I set my aperture and my iso "right", I just have to adjust my shutter speed for light. I goofed here because I started off with my iso wrong. Is that correct? I will read the link you provided. Its so much to take in that it can be so confusing. Right when I think Ive got it, I realize I dont. LOL. Thanks!

But that's not always the best method. Suppose you end up with 1/4 sec shutter, and you're using a long lens or shooting a fast-moving subject?

I'm an absolute beginner to photography, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. But as far as composition is concerned, I thought that a very simple edit might illustrate where your photo suffers.

Left Side:
LeftSide.jpg

Right Side:
Rightside.jpg

The right side of the photo overpowers the really interesting stuff that's going on over on the left side. Look for the really neat stuff in the scene, that your brain has a tendency to focus on, and then compose the photo so that the viewers eye is drawn to that part of the scene. You can do this simply by cropping everything else out, or by changing the angle, or the lighting, or the the DOF. But somehow you need to draw the viewers eye to the neat stuff.

In this case I would lose the entire side of the barn. Reposition yourself, and try lowering the camera a bit to give something other than the run of the mill, eye level perspective. But just getting rid of the side of the barn will improve it immensely. You can experiment with the rest.

Anyway that's my opinion.

Most reactions

Back