Photos OK to edit
untitled-90.jpg

untitled-125.jpg

untitled-135.jpg

untitled-183.jpg

4^
untitled-146.jpg

Not great, but not too bad.
What bothers me though is the fact, that every image has different post-processing. Why's that? I believe that photos from one set shouldn't vary this much, but that's just me I guess...

The photos are too tight IMO. But if this is your first time, not bad at all.

I did different PP so the bride could se a few different styles, and also because I'm still learning and nwant to explore a bit to know what my favourite is, and what gets best feedback before I stick to one particular style.

My favourites are 3 and 4. In the other two, one of them is looking like they are either somewhere else or not as happy as the other - In no 2 the groom is looking in a totally different direction and in no 1 it looks like the bride is 'not amused'. The advantage with PP especially in digital is that if they don't like the effect when they come to look at the photos, you can always change it.

C&C per req:
1. Too tightly cropped; you've missed some of the bride's dress, and only narrowly got all of the groom's left arm. As well, your exposure missed by quite a bit. You've blown most of the dress, and have a large blown highlight on the groom's forehead. Rule #1 in wedding photography: Don't mess up the dress shots. I also suspect that the expression she's showing here won't be one of her favorites. It's critical to keep an eye on the faces and get the happy momments. Doubtless she was happy here, but when I look at it, it reminds of the expression my mother had when I told her (at six years old) that I'd just painted my bedroom walls.

2. THis one needs to be leveled; it rises significantly toward the right side. I'm afraid however if you do that, the groom will lose some of his head. This is one reason why I always suggest that people compose and then open up a bit. The dress is better here, but you have no detail in his suit and little in his face. I think this would have worked MUCH better as a portrait orientation.

3. I can't tell for sure, but it looks to me like you may have missed focus on her face. The exposure is better here; lots of dress detail, but I think the image would have been much stronger had you directed her to closer to the surf. This again I think should be cropped to portrait.

4. Interesting; I'm not usually a fan of angles, but I think this works nicely. I would crop out the chair/table/whatever legs uppper right, and try to bring some detail into his suit.

5. By far the best of the lot. This is a really nice shot, and one I would have been pleased to capture. It shows genuine happiness. The only niggle I can see is that it would have been that much stronger shot with longer glass and a larger aperture to render the background out of focus.

Overall, for a first go, this isn't a bad set. You're dealing with the exposure challenges of a wedding; white dress and black suit. You need to get more light in the scene. Ideally, a helper with a remote speedlight, but if nothing else, a diffuse speedlight on a bracket. If you're going to offer different processing styles to the couple, my method is to pick one image and show it in all the different versions, and just submit the rest in colour.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Last edited:
Lol. No I wasn't paid, I'm nowhere near ready to charge!

tirediron, thank you for feedback, all noted. I'm going to have a look back through. Each shot was taken in both portrait and landscape so I also have the ones you mentioned in portrait.

I'm hoping to upgrade my camera soon so hopefully that will help me out a bit as well.
Thanks again for all the feedback so far.

Framing could be a bit better but I would be more concerned with what kind of print quality you would get from these images. They seem a bit dark online and would probably print darker. Not sure how you feel about that but usually its not something the client would like.

Most reactions

Back