--- C&C please "rough day"

Noonz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all! I took these photos a few weeks back, wouldnt mind some C&C. All of the lighting is natural, i dont own a flash or anything like that. basiclly the photos are a combination of long exposure, sitting really still & a lot of patients! :er:

All images are shot at about 10-15 seconds with an ISO of 500. I know they're all similar in composition.. just wanted to know what i can do better! ;)

23607_377238489142_183412584142_3737435_6550149_n.jpg

23607_377095949142_183412584142_3735054_2119776_n.jpg

23607_377117939142_183412584142_3735447_8370945_n.jpg

Cheers! :D

I like the color on #2 the best, the rest are a bit to yellow for my taste.

I'm a newbie, but for what it's worth, I think #2 came out the best. Slightly tilted, but I like the composition and how the benches and path draw your eye into the picture.

The shadow of the guy is bothinering me on #1, and I'm not a fan of the yellow tint on #3, but I see how you would get that with what is probably street lighting.

I'm just impressed you managed to get someone to stay still for that long!

The photos are pretty cool though.

For my own educational bennifit... Why did you choose to choose a shutter speed of 10 -15 seconds (assuming I read that correctly)?? What affect does that give you? Or was it really just that dark out? :lol:
It was quite dark. I had to put the aperture a little higher so the lights weren't too blown out (doesn't look like it worked anyway hahaha) It actually looks lighter than it really was. the first two were probably around 7-10 seconds while the last one was 15(cause it wasnt well lit at all). but it was a real mission getting him to stay still for that long.. so many blurry pictures haha, always fun though!

Hope that helped ;)

#2 it is! Slightly tilted as mentioned above but already pretty good.

Did you add the shallow depth of field in PP? If so I would have gone a little further with the strength.

Unfortunately your model "delivers" a better "rough day-look" in #1 instead #2. There it doesn't look so convincing that he had a bad day. This is a very important detail.
You can get everything perfectly right but if the model cannot convey the emotion it just kills all your efforts. Of course it's not easy to express certain emotions on command but if you can get him to be more comfortable in front of the lens you might get it out of him.

The overall mood in #2 is already nice. In post processing I would make it a little more dramatic. Maybe take down the saturation or look into some cross processing techniques as the color choices in post processing can also enhance and amplify the emotions in the image.

#3 is not spectacular in terms of composition. I would have tried more angles and different focal lengths.

For me the third one because the the church also equals prayer/ the posture of the man. The first two appear less convincing and more staged. I think the first is better than the second. The second picture's context is distracting - my eyes keep moving between the man and the bright lights. If the concept was "on the run/hunted" then bright lights (like searchlights) would fit in.

I want to really like the first one. What bothers me is how close to the edge of the frame he is. The bench leads very nicely to him, but I feel cramped there, and can't get out.

The second Is the better of the three in my opinion. All the space on the right gives me a feeling of desolation, and lonelyness.

What I would like to see on the thrid is for you to shoot either from lower or higher, portrait orientation, with him centered with the door/arch, and get all of the arch. Or again centering the arch, and putting him off to the side. I think the whole arch is important for scale and might send the message of how large and powerful religion is and how small he is.

Thank you everyone for the C&C ;)
#2 it is! Slightly tilted as mentioned above but already pretty good.

Did you add the shallow depth of field in PP? If so I would have gone a little further with the strength.

Unfortunately your model "delivers" a better "rough day-look" in #1 instead #2. There it doesn't look so convincing that he had a bad day. This is a very important detail.
You can get everything perfectly right but if the model cannot convey the emotion it just kills all your efforts. Of course it's not easy to express certain emotions on command but if you can get him to be more comfortable in front of the lens you might get it out of him.

The overall mood in #2 is already nice. In post processing I would make it a little more dramatic. Maybe take down the saturation or look into some cross processing techniques as the color choices in post processing can also enhance and amplify the emotions in the image.

#3 is not spectacular in terms of composition. I would have tried more angles and different focal lengths.
Will most definitely take that all into consideration, thank you for your time.

I want to really like the first one. What bothers me is how close to the edge of the frame he is. The bench leads very nicely to him, but I feel cramped there, and can't get out.

What I would like to see on the thrid is for you to shoot either from lower or higher, portrait orientation, with him centered with the door/arch, and get all of the arch. Or again centering the arch, and putting him off to the side. I think the whole arch is important for scale and might send the message of how large and powerful religion is and how small he is.
The only reason the crop is too tight in the first photo is because there was a light about north west of his head head that was so blown out it was distracting. But i do know exactly what you're saying. Also, i will try the church shoot again, i actually never thought of it from that perspective "powerful religion" That's something to think. Thank you so much.

All would have been much more dimensional and stronger, had you used strobed light on your subject.

Bitter hit the high points in #1 but I would add, having his right arm up on his head instead of his left.

#2 Definately the best. Some slight fill from camera right on him would have been nice.

#3 I like the camera height but not the camera angle nor the distortion on the scene. The distortion can be addressed with an image editor.
I would have liked his forehead somewhat higher so mis mouth and chin were visible, about like in #2.

On another note: Your logo has strong male sexual overtones. Don't look at it as your initials. Just sayin........ ;)

I'm going to throw this out there for you.

If you don't have a flash, do you have a flashlight? Buy one. Buy some gels. Long expose the background, and paint your subject in to get him a bit sharper. There are certain flashlights that people suggest for this specific use, I can't find the link right now but if I do manage to I will put it up here for you :)

Plus having a flashlight for any nighttime landscapes you may do can create an entire new look out of nothing more than yourself and some patience.

shmne, I wish you would post more here. I think you are so full of it. "It" being awesome ideas! Now I need to get a flashlight. :thumbup:

I'm going to throw this out there for you.

If you don't have a flash, do you have a flashlight? Buy one. Buy some gels. Long expose the background, and paint your subject in to get him a bit sharper. There are certain flashlights that people suggest for this specific use, I can't find the link right now but if I do manage to I will put it up here for you :)

Plus having a flashlight for any nighttime landscapes you may do can create an entire new look out of nothing more than yourself and some patience.

Wow, gun idea! I actually do a lot of night photography aswell and its a real pain not having a flash. Definitely getting myself a flashlight. Thanks a lot mate ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back