C&C Please - "Smiling"

GRafyx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I was at a family beach party 2 weeks ago but I only post-edited them yesterday, and I would like some C&C on this photo of my little cousin playing around.

I called this photo "Smiling".

(click to enlarge)

Last edited:
Am I gonna get no answers at all ? Is this topic going to drown in the deepest point of the topic cemetery with no attention given to it ? Am I stupid ? Am I really who I am ? Am I really awake ? Were I so unfair ? Do the last question even have a meaning ? Why ? Who ? When ? How ?

The smile is lovely.
The chopped hand looks seriously bad. If you have to chop it, at least do not do it at a joint.
The people in the background turning their backs to us do not look nice either. I would like them blurred mercilessly.
The light blue/yellow colour scheme is nice, but the image is flat and lacks shades, depth and contrast.
The narrow frame and central positioning make the composition rather unimaginative.
As for your questions I am honestly unable to answer it: I do not know you.
But the boy is really adorable.
Hope it helps.

Thank you!

cute picture.
A bit flat in contrast and soft
Clipping a limb at a joint while there is lots of space above his head makes it look like a framing error.

The backround is really distracting and makes the image seem like a snapshot. The chopping off of the hand bugs me, but I like the expression in the face. I would just start looking at your surroundings first before clicking your shutter button. Small changes can make a huge difference.

Thank you!

I agree with all above, and offer you this very rough and quick edit, justnto give you the idea:

$1384011194-smilling_edit.jpg

Odd smile.
Odd hat.
Color balance issues.
Distracting shirt with an odd color choice for a boy. That is a boy, right?

Thank you!

Odd smile.
Odd hat.
Color balance issues.

Odd smile? That is a really cute smile!
Odd hat? That is a totally normal hat!
Odd color choice for a boy? Blue is for boys! (and yes, he is a boy.)
Color balance issues? That is exactly how the scene looked IRL. I don' t think it has any issues at all. Would you make it warmer or colder?

@sashbar: Thank you for the edit! :D

1. What WB setting did you use in what lighting? The picture just looks...bland. I would've made it warmer.
2. Would've been good if the pole was perpendicular and not at an angle (tilt the camera more next time).
3. Focus looks SLIGHTLY off if you blow it up. What was ISO/shutter/aperture?
4. A faster lens would've helped blur out the background some more to make it less distracting. Or just some more post-processing.

1. I used a custom WB in Lightroom (6955). The photo was shot under sunshades, on a sunny summer day.
2. It can be easily corrected in LR.
3.Yes, I know that. ISO: 400 SS: 1/125 s. Ap: f/ 5,6
4. I know, I' m currently planning on buying one :) And maybe I'm gonna digitally blur out the background, someday...

EDIT: Oh, and here is a second edit I gave my shot: (click to enlarge)

Thank you!

Odd smile.
Odd hat.
Color balance issues.

Color balance issues? That is exactly how the scene looked IRL. I don' t think it has any issues at all. Would you make it warmer or colder?

First lesson in critique is not to argue with the critique-r. If you don't agree with the comments, just smile, nod and say thank you.

That said...

I think it's an odd smile.
I think the hat would get the kid teased unless he happened to be very popular.
On my color-corrected screen, the shirt is teal. Not blue.
Color balance issues and the teal shirt are probably because your screen is not color corrected. Fix that with a Spyder or similar device and you'll see what I mean.

Thank you!

Odd smile.
Odd hat.
Color balance issues.

First lesson in critique is not to argue with the critique-r. If you don't agree with the comments, just smile, nod and say thank you.

That said...

I think it's an odd smile.
I think the hat would get the kid teased unless he happened to be very popular.
On my color-corrected screen, the shirt is teal. Not blue.
Color balance issues and the teal shirt are probably because your screen is not color corrected. Fix that with a Spyder or similar device and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not arguing with you, just trying to get more details about what you said (no arguments at all). The first thing I said was thank you. You might have forgotten another major rule of C&C: When you criticize something, use arguments. And my screen is color corrected.

Most reactions

Back