C & C Please & Thank you :)

amg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Earlier this week I took some Maternity Photos of my Best Friend!! She was awesome and let me drag her around everywhere. I have always admired professional photographers and maybe one day would love to be one!!! So I was lucky to have a friend wh let me get a taste of directing a photoshoot. Omg props to you Pros it is hard to explain to someone how you want them to pose or where to look...... Yes very hard to explian indeed!!!

Little about myself this is the 4th time I have used my Dlsr Camera I have no schooling what so ever.... although I would really likme to take some maybe in the fall when I have more time :) But for now I have just been shooting when I get a chance and playing around with lightroom.

Equipment for these pics:
Canon Rebel t3 and 1 lens efs 18-55mm Pretty limited lol but it was fun trying :)
But I did shoot everything in Manual and raw :)

Photo 1
f/4.5 1/60 sec ISO 200 37 MM

Photo 2
f/5 1/50 sec Iso 200

Photo 3
f/ 5.6 1/50 sec Iso 200 53 mm

Photo 4
f/5 1/50 sec Iso 200 27 mm

Photo 5
f/4.5 1/60 sec Iso 200 30 mm

I don't know, 1/50 is awfully slow for portraits. Meet in the middle at #1 with 4.5 with 1/10 a second more?

I thought you adjusted your settings according to the light? It was raining a bit very grey a cloudy..... I am still playing around with the settings and learning how they each work this is only the 4th time I have picked up my camera and its my very first dlsr. So I guess I will have to shoot some more and play with the setting cause I dont think reading is gonna do it? Anyone have some tips?

Exposure wise, you're a little dark and the ss is a little slower than ideal for moving people. You did a decent job in manual though for just starting out. You coule've bumped your ISO a couple to get a faster shutter speed. Outside that, I don't think you really want me to CC those :)

I think they came out nice and they're sharp enough (at this size) I'm not a fan of the crops though.

Bossy I would actually love you to C&C them because if you just say you dont like them I have not a clue what I could have done to improve them besides faster shutter speed maybe a higher iso. This is why I come on this site to learn..... if I wanted to hear how great my photos were I would show them to my friends and family who will always tell me I love them. I want to learn this and I am determined to get it right but if I could get some help along the way that would be amazing :)

I cropped them to get them to what I would like them to look like so I can get a idea. Still not sure how to get those amazing angles I am wondering if a better lens would make this easier to do?

<3 ok.

Overall, global issues. Exposure(density) and contrast look good, but your color isn't consistent, or white balanced in any of them. #1 looks the closest to being balanced.
You have motion in a couple of them (hands in #2, for example). A faster ss would fix that.
Composition is kinda a mess. Chopped limbs, close crops, with an 18mm you def could have left yourself a little more space to work with. #2 is almost there, I see what you wanted to get with the image, but the mess of legs isn't ideal. You might be able to crop in and save that one though. #3..kinda looks like shes squatting to pee. And your conversion is muddy, see how the stripes that should be white are gray?
#4 is my favorite, the gray against her greens and blacks are nice, and you pulled back a bit in this one which is nice. However ideally she'd be looking into the frame, instead of out of it, and the angle you shot at isn't the most flattering/interesting. #5 is cute because she's laughing, but its kinda a up the nose shot, and very busy with the green shirt/grass/bush.

It seems a little like you hoped you'd get ideas, both posing and image wise, while you were out there. Since you're just starting out, I'd recommend getting a notebook, and draw if you can, as well as print off pics that you like for inspiration.Its a good idea for someone whose been at it awhile even. So I'd challenge you to google pregnant women to death, notice body language and poses, print off a few inspiration photos and take your friend out again with those in hand :)

Better glass will help with clarity. I've heard prime lenses help composure, makes you focus more on whats in the frame rather than "zooming", I suppose. Check out the 50mm 1.8, I'm sure canon has a version of that?

Thank you so much Bossy I really appreciate you taking the time. You have given me a ton to think about....... Thank you very very much :)

And number 3 lol I cant believed I missed that black and white duhhhhh and the stripes are grey lmao. See learning already black and white photos find something that is supposed to be white and make sure it is white.....:lmao: I guess you need to start seeing all those little details hope it comes with time!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back