C&C please

This is the first shot i got with my 2 weeks old nikon d5100. comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

DSC_0233 by hydkaran420, on Flickr
The verticals in the photo are vertical, indicating the horizon is too. The bridge apparently is curved to the right of the photo.
The white balance is off so it has a yellowish cast. Night scenes are tough, white balance wise, because you have so many different light source types in the scene: tungsten, mercury vapor, high and/or low pressure sodium vapor, flourescent, neon, etc.
I adjusted the white balance to tone down the yellow color cast. I cropped a large portion of the sky away because it's just not needed in the final photo. I got rid of the bit of white rail in the lower left corner, and increased the mid-tone contrast.

6078883695_deb5d74bdf_b.jpg

Fix your white balance and do some cropping of the dead space :)

This is the first shot i got with my 2 weeks old nikon d5100. comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

DSC_0233 by hydkaran420, on Flickr
The verticals in the photo are vertical, indicating the horizon is too. The bridge apparently is curved to the right of the photo.
The white balance is off so it has a yellowish cast. Night scenes are tough, white balance wise, because you have so many different light source types in the scene: tungsten, mercury vapor, high and/or low pressure sodium vapor, flourescent, neon, etc.
I adjusted the white balance to tone down the yellow color cast. I cropped a large portion of the sky away because it's just not needed in the final photo. I got rid of the bit of white rail in the lower left corner, and increased the mid-tone contrast.

6078883695_deb5d74bdf_b.jpg

How did you increase the mid tone contrast?

SabrinaO said:
How did you increase the mid tone contrast?

Google "increase mid tone contrast"

Or for the perpetually lazy:

Mid tone contrast slider in the shadow/highlight command.

Very good try for a first time shot at a night exposure. Two basic tips- shoot raw and over-expose and then back it down in post processing, and also watch for dead skies or other dead spaces. They're not as obvious when you look with your eyes because your eyes see more than your camera will, but trust me... everything will be darker.

If you search on my name and night on TPF you'll find a number of threads where I provide many tips on night photography. It would be worth your while if you intend to pursue this with any level of seriousness.

KmH said:

Wow it looks gud...

Forkie said:
Not bad for a first go at long exposures, but please straighten those horizons!

First of all thanks for the edit it looks a lot better... yes the bridge is going away on from me on the right... and jam a bit confused about the white balance stuff need to learn about that... any suggestions on the source for white balance...

manaheim said:
Very good try for a first time shot at a night exposure. Two basic tips- shoot raw and over-expose and then back it down in post processing, and also watch for dead skies or other dead spaces. They're not as obvious when you look with your eyes because your eyes see more than your camera will, but trust me... everything will be darker.

If you search on my name and night on TPF you'll find a number of threads where I provide many tips on night photography. It would be worth your while if you intend to pursue this with any level of seriousness.

Thanks a lot for the tips. Yeah I shud have gone for raw but actually in forgot about that when shooting... ;) yeah I thought the sky could be a gud part with its blueish tint... I will definitely do that next time I am free actually was asking about some sources to get to know about white balance...

Forkie said:
Not bad for a first go at long exposures, but please straighten those horizons!

First of all thanks for the edit it looks a lot better... yes the bridge is going away on from me on the right... and jam a bit confused about the white balance stuff need to learn about that... any suggestions on the source for white balance...
I recommend you not use the ...

Night scenes are tough, white balance wise, because you have so many different light source types in the scene: tungsten, mercury vapor, high and/or low pressure sodium vapor, flourescent, neon, etc.

Understanding White Balance

Each light source type produces light that has a different and distinct color temperature. Our eyes and brain worlk together to make adjustments that tend to average out the differing light source color temperatures that we see.
The cameera can't do that, so photographers strive to only have one light source color temperature in a scene, so they can set an accurate white balance for that particular light source color temperature.
For instance, tungsten and most other incandescent lights have a yellowish color temperature, Flourescent lights have a greenish color temperature.

When 'tungsten' is chosen in the White Balance menu the camer is being told in advance what light source color temperature is being used in the scene.
If there is both tungsten and flourescent lighting in a scene we can set the camera white balance to fully correct for only one or the other light source. However, we can adjust the white balance to partially correct each color but then we have an oddball color cast in out photo.

When there are many light source color temperatures on a night shot we can only set the white balance to some partial solutionm.

I rarely use Shadow/Highlight.

There's many ways, that's just one. I don't use that one much unless I'm just doing a quick edit.

KmH said:
I recommend you not use the ...

Understanding White Balance

Each light source type produces light that has a different and distinct color temperature. Our eyes and brain worlk together to make adjustments that tend to average out the differing light source color temperatures that we see.
The cameera can't do that, so photographers strive to only have one light source color temperature in a scene, so they can set an accurate white balance for that particular light source color temperature.
For instance, tungsten and most other incandescent lights have a yellowish color temperature, Flourescent lights have a greenish color temperature.

When 'tungsten' is chosen in the White Balance menu the camer is being told in advance what light source color temperature is being used in the scene.
If there is both tungsten and flourescent lighting in a scene we can set the camera white balance to fully correct for only one or the other light source. However, we can adjust the white balance to partially correct each color but then we have an oddball color cast in out photo.

When there are many light source color temperatures on a night shot we can only set the white balance to some partial solutionm.

Thanks for the link and the info. It's very huge topic than I've ever thought.

Most reactions

Back