C + C please

Kazzy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there. I have been taking loads of photos lately ( I can't get enough of it) and hopefully I am improving. I know I have a HUGE way to go I dont plan going pro and starting a business, however I would still like to have great results...one day.

These were all taaken with natural light, and I know I should have re-positioned Bridie to get better lighting on her face. If I had have popped on on the opposite side of the jetty the sun would have been in her eyes, and she would have been all squinty...not to mention the moans and over reactions I get from her when the sun is in her eyes.

So yes, other than the light what else do I need to do to make these photos better? Also where is best to position the subject when using natural light? With the sun to the left, right, front or behind? Thanks heap sin advance guys.

7034086435_af85c72dd7_z.jpg

7034086183_3cfa90e0be_z.jpg

This is one of Bridie with her twin sister Elka, I know its blown out around Elka's hair.
7034087095_133247b2ee_z.jpg

And 2 black and white ones.
#4 I know I chopped off his head here. :(
6887993908_da531e9ee5_z.jpg

6887997036_316a15b44b_z.jpg

Thanks guys. :)

The last picture is the one I like best; true, the high lights have been burnt out but but it doesn't really matter (on her shirt).
Harsh sunlight is never welcome to the portrait photographer; when shooting outdoors try to find an area in the shade if the sun's shining. Options are to use a reflector or fill-in flash so you can spare your subject having to face the sun, or shoot early in the morning or late in the evening. But when shooting children on a family outing, those options are not always realistic ...

The last picture is the one I like best; true, the high lights have been burnt out but but it doesn't really matter (on her shirt).
Harsh sunlight is never welcome to the portrait photographer; when shooting outdoors try to find an area in the shade if the sun's shining. Options are to use a reflector or fill-in flash so you can spare your subject having to face the sun, or shoot early in the morning or late in the evening. But when shooting children on a family outing, those options are not always realistic ...

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. :) I have to get myself a reflector and a flash, backdrops and lights are all on my wish list...after I get my new lens in a couple of weeks.

I think some fill flash would have helped a lot. I really like the sun hitting the hair in #1 and 2.+.
In #4 the chopped head doesn't look bad. You don't always have to have the full head in the shot. I think the issue with this one is the focus. It's soft and should be dead on sharp on the eyes.
#5 is the best one but as I always say with black and whites, they should karate chop me in the face and this one merely nudged my chin. Black and whites should be powerful. Play around in post and try different things

Most reactions

Back