C&C San Francisco and Bay Bridge from Treasure Island

Golfcart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I was shooting a wedding in Half Moon bay a few weekends ago and I decided to go through San Francisco on my way home. While crossing the Bay Bridge I looked back at SF and seen how clear it was (those of you from SF area know it gets foggy when the sun goes down) so I have to turn off on Treasure Island and shoot it! This is what I came up with. All critiques are welcome and encouraged! :)

Attachments

• $RCR_3682.JPG
    $RCR_3682.JPG
    554.9 KB · Views: 177
That looks great! How long was the exposure on that? I find that it's a little wide, so I did some super-professional cropping on my phone.

$image-3161411355.jpg

This is just what I thought looked a little nicer.

-Ken Turner

Yeah I do have a cropped version as well, thanks for the input!

I shot this at 30sec at f11 around 10pm.

How was the foreground lit? The orange colour, is that natural or was it street lighting?

Great picture though!

Yeah it was street lighting. I'm standing against a cement wall on the sidewalk. The car is parked directly behind me. The rocks are lit by street lamps behind me.

Firstly, I really like the photo. Well done. I find the rocks a bit distracting ... don't get me wrong I like the rocks, they nicely anchor the bottom, but they are a bit too bright. My eye keeps shifting from the rocks to the bridge/SF. Maybe a smidgen of burning ...

Gary

i find the colour of the rocks in the foreground to be VERY distracting. however i love the movement of the clouds over the city. i think if you cropped it as a panorama so we just saw a little bit of the blue water, the city, clouds and sky it would be really amazing.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah the rocks are darkened a bit and just looked awkward when I burned anymore. I could try again. Thanks again!

Nice image. The only thing that I find a little strange are the clouds - not sure if they are coming or going or standing still and maybe it is an artefact of the long exposure. The orange rocks in the foreground are a little distracting, but I still like the rest of the image. For a 30 sec exposure, it is quite sharp - good steady tripod I presume(?) and a good lens.

Thanks! Yeah San Francisco is know for the foggyness. It's nearly impossible to get a night shot with no clouds or fog. I took this shot passing through because this is actually a "clear night" for SF.

Thanks for comments!

GC

Did you have to muscle your way to the front of the pack, or just wait your turn? That location is generally a seething mass of photographers, especially on a clear night.

Actually, no one was there. :)

A few tourist getting group shots with SF in the background, but no serious photographers. I'm assuming I got lucky. :)

Did you have to muscle your way to the front of the pack, or just wait your turn? That location is generally a seething mass of photographers, especially on a clear night.
I used to go there a lot, and shot from that location a bunch of times, and never experienced what you're describing.

I sailed a boat out of TI for several years, and it was a rare evening to not see at least a few people piled up there at sundown, and limos with wedding parties were surprisingly common.

I sailed a boat out of TI for several years, and it was a rare evening to not see at least a few people piled up there at sundown, and limos with wedding parties were surprisingly common.
"A few" is hardly "a pack" or "a seething mass of photographers", nor do "a few people" "pile up" at that location, nor does anyone need to "muscle their way to the front of the pack", nor wait to take one's turn.

That parking lot/shore line measures about 800 feet long - plenty of elbow room for "a few" people to all set up tripods or just stand there with cameras and get virtually that same shot simultaneously.

No big deal; You've simply exaggerated the situation - by a lot.

SFBay_Bridge01.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back