C&C, White Balance Concentration

H4X1MA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Repost, I had added this to an old thread of mine and was told to just start a new one. Usually that's frowned upon on most forums, but since these boards are highly active I guess things get lost easily.

I am dealing with being a noob 1 step at a time. Currently working on my WB skills (on cam) since it is one of the best things to know. I'm trying to get away from adjusting WB in Photoshop. I took these over the weekend. Remember, WB concentration. The pics themselves are far from great. O yeah, and on a fun note I'm green/brown colorblind so WB is probably going to be one of the hardest things for me to master since I am always going landscapes with a lot of green/brown in them.

This one I did adjust in PS, it was as shot 5k, adjusted to 5450 which I dont think is too bad. it does look like I needed a little less exposure though, but I wasn't worried about that so much since I am trying to figure out the WB. No other editing was done to this image.

This one I didn't edit at all, WB is as shot. The exposure to me seemed pretty good considering. The sun was a little behind me and my shooting point was in the shade. The focus on this one is pretty bleh, I was trying to meter off of a point that was not really near the focal point. The mountains are pretty far away, so the haze from the sky tint's them blue anyway.

Last edited:
It is really hard to say if WB is good in these pictures with no real color standards, in the image.
The best way to know if the WB is 'good' is to include a white or grey card in the field.

Don't perseverate about a relatively trivial issue.
Either shoot raw and correct or make a custom wb when you shoot.

It is really hard to say if WB is good in these pictures with no real color standards, in the image.
The best way to know if the WB is 'good' is to include a white or grey card in the field.

Don't perseverate about a relatively trivial issue.
Either shoot raw and correct or make a custom wb when you shoot.

X10. Buy a white/grey/color card and shoot it at the start of a session or just shoot in RAW. You're making unnecessary work for yourself. In the scope of skills to learn as a photographer, I think you'll find that dealing with white balance is one of the smaller issues.

Before i go doing that, lets see if I understand how to use it. I get to my point where i want to shoot, say on top of the rocks from the second pic, then I take a snap of that card and adjust the camera WB settings until the card actually looks white on my screen, correct?

It seems like for landscapes that this would be a bad solution, especially in the image above. I am standing in the shade, but most of my shot is sun lit, so if I were to change my WB by holding a card in front of me then the WB would be set for the shade (I am guessing). The alternative would, as I am understanding, is to place the card in one of the sun lit tree of the image. I'm not climbing no tree's just to set my WB lol

Before i go doing that, lets see if I understand how to use it. I get to my point where i want to shoot, say on top of the rocks from the second pic, then I take a snap of that card and adjust the camera WB settings until the card actually looks white on my screen, correct?

No, read the camera manual

You 'get it in the ball park' when you shoot, and add a shot of the gray card so you can zero in the WB in post.

And if you look at a shot of a gray card in your LCD and it's white, you're really off-base.

Most reactions

Back