Cahterine's Bridal Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again General.

Pete, I was avoiding glare off the painting and the windows. :)

We have the same little niche as you do and some women ADORE this look. I love the cowboy boots. Lighting looks great, 3 and 4 were weaker for me, but I love the rest.

Thank you template. It's a good nitch right? Not everyone wants it, but when they do, they are willing to spend.

Nice Unnecessary...why? That would help.

Well, the first thing I was going ot say is that the PP is a bit too much, but then I read what you said. But I'm going to say it anyways. The PP is quite a bit over the top. Now I understand that it's 'your style' and the clients like it, and there's something to be said for that. But there is a certain danger to allowing your clientele to be you critics and allowing 'style' to be a cop out for improvement. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, so don't get mad, I'm just saying watch out for that. Regardless of whether or not 'over-the-top' PP is your style, I still think it need a lot of work. There's smooth skin and then there's textureless plastic. Also, there are lots of smeary edges, particularly her hairline, as well as lots of soft or artifacted edges that should be sharp. Her face looks somewhat distorted in many, like you used the liquify tool to enhance the smiles, particularly ine #4 and #8. But maybe she just has a giant smile. #3 I would say is the ugly duckling of the group. For the most part the lighting is nice and the poses are pretty good and the composition is well thought out, but #3 seems like a snapshot with an awkward pose and on camera flash.

All in all, lots of great ideas, nice light and good posing, but I think the PP good use some refining, if not a little turning down.

I've been reluctant to offer any C&C to your work, but I agree with GeneralBenson's multiple points. I am wondering what kind of monitor you are using, since multiple people have voiced negative feedback about the PP on these shots, in both blunt and tactful manners. I am wondering if your monitor is not up to snuff or something,since this degree of skin smoothing looks extremely plastic,and the detail killing nature of it looks like Portraiture or some other retouching application cranked to the maximum. This young woman looks like she has attractive features, but her face looks like that of a mannequin with this amount of PP work.

Hi General, (Darrel)
Please don't ever be be reluctant to give me CC.

The Monitor I am using is a $3000 top of the line NEC widescreen. Calibrated weekly. I know that sounds like a whole bunch of whoey, but it's the truth. The monitor is calibrated to my printer. However, all colors should be in range of a properly calebrated monitor.

The skin tones are Barbie on Acid. That is what my nitch market is. I do not dispute that.

She is extremely attractive, but she paid extra for this service.

Let me put it this way Derrel:

NOT EVERYONE DOES WHAT I DO. I'm not saying I'm the besty of the besties. What I AM saying is that I do extreme retouching for brides. They know this.

While most brides and photographers hate this, there is a small percentage of people in my state and out of state who trip over one another to get this kind of work done. They pay whatever I ask, and I am booked for the entire year, and have been since February.

This is what is called a "nitch" market. Yes, I could tone down the skin and eyes, and look just like everyone else. I could make happy happy with other photographers. I could have a bigger bride slice in the big pie of weddings. But that is not what I do. I do the crazy stuff that they want.

Do I want to be in a big steaming pile of "everyone else"? No. I want to be the only person in my area who does what I do. I don't get every bride, but I get way more than I can book.

Anyhoo I appreciate your CC, and I'm just telling you why I do things like I do.
Hugs,
Cindy

Over the top?
These are great! Retouching no more than what makeup could do
nicely done, I understand Catherine's desire for your photography

Thank you. :) I have been trying to back off the "over the top" stuff, but every once in a while, I get brides who want that type of thing.

Who are you kidding? I have seen this "over the top stuff" in all of your work.

Also, why would you be proud of that "little nitch market" that you claim to have? Don't you think that if ALL decent photographers look down on this technique that there might be something wrong with it?

What you do is not professional and is something that any self conscious high school girl with Photoshop and a Myspace could do.

I am even more bothered by the post processing you did on the eyes. They look ridiculous. #1 and 2 are perfect examples of what I'm talking about. The eyes are out of place. Back up and take a look at what you are doing.

I'm going to be honest, I feel bad for your clients. It seems like what you do is more or less not worth the price tag that you put on it.

$7000?!?!? I just fell out of my chair... I just saw on another post that you robbed that poor couple of $7000.

If you say that this poor woman paid extra for these "services", you seriously need to do a check on what you are producing for the prices that you are charging...

Last edited:
Don't you think that if ALL decent photographers look down on this technique that there might be something wrong with it?

Whoa! Now there's a jump. I think of myself as a decent photographer. I find nothing wrong with Cindy's work. And I can assure you, in the profession (among working, professional photographers), this work is above par.

What you do is not professional and is something that any self conscious high school girl with Photoshop and a Myspace could do.

I am even more bothered by the post processing you did on the eyes. They look ridiculous. #1 and 2 are perfect examples of what I'm talking about. The eyes are out of place. Back up and take a look at what you are doing.

Nice. Attacks and name-calling, all without an ounce of justification or substance. That's always convincing.

I'm going to be honest, I feel bad for your clients.

Why would you feel bad for clients who found just what they want? Hey... I don't like rap. I assert that it isn't even music. Yet, there's a category for it at the Grammies and a very lucrative industry that has millions of consumers. I don't feel bad they found something they enjoy. Good for them.

It seems like what you do is more or less not worth the price tag that you put on it.

And that's fine. It seems to her clients the results are worth the price. I find that interesting.

The biggest problem I have with your post is your assertion to Cindy, "What you do is not professional..." Explain that. If you think this is so, share your wisdom.

-Pete

Last edited:

Also, why would you be proud of that "little nitch market" that you claim to have? Don't you think that if ALL decent photographers look down on this technique that there might be something wrong with it?

I'm going to be honest, I feel bad for your clients. It seems like what you do is more or less not worth the price tag that you put on it.

I'm the first to say that I don't like this look. I find it fake and would not pay anyone to do this to my pictures or accept anyone pay me for this. I find it tacky and cheesy. But that is me.

Just because no other photographer does it does not mean that it is something that should not be done. If everyone were to think like that, then everyone would work like a cookie cutter and offer the same things. The world would be very bland.

For what it is, its good. If someone wants a plastic porcelain look with ultra freaky eyes, that is exactly what they got. And if their budget for $7000 works, then who am I to say thats too much.

If someone wants to buy a classic red ferrari and paint it pink with yellow polkadots, thats their choice. If they are ok with paying someone $50,000 for that paint job, and they get the paint job they want, then its all good.

If the clients are happy with the result and getting what they pay for, then why would you feel bad for them? They have the money, they got the product as requested.

I'm not sure if you have an intent to be a pro photographer, or even if you are one now, you might want to look more into the business end of things. If some people are willing to pay for something that you can do a good job on, then you get a contract. If those people show 20 of their friends and 2 like it and call you, you get 2 more contracts.

Over the top?
These are great! Retouching no more than what makeup could do
nicely done, I understand Catherine's desire for your photography

Thank you. :) I have been trying to back off the "over the top" stuff, but every once in a while, I get brides who want that type of thing.

Oh my..... I was reminded by an out of country friend not to lose my cool with posters here.

The end of the story is, you don't have to love it. You don't even have to like it. The deal is, my clients trip over themselves to get it.

That's what a nitch market is. You will learn all about that in business classes when you go to college.

Don't you think that if ALL decent photographers look down on this technique that there might be something wrong with it?

Whoa! Now there's a jump. I think of myself as a decent photographer. I find nothing wrong with Cindy's work. And I can assure you, in the profession (among working, professional photographers), this work is above par.

Nice. Attacks and name-calling, all without an ounce of justification or substance. That's always convincing.

I'm going to be honest, I feel bad for your clients.

Why would you feel bad for clients who found just what they want? Hey... I don't like rap. I assert that it isn't even music. Yet, there's a category for it at the Grammies and a very lucrative industry that has millions of consumers. I don't feel bad they found something they enjoy. Good for them.

It seems like what you do is more or less not worth the price tag that you put on it.

And that's fine. It seems to her clients the results are worth the price. I find that interesting.

The biggest problem I have with your post is your assertion to Cindy, "What you do is not professional..." Explain that. If you think this is so, share your wisdom.

-Pete

God, thank you Pete. I was so hurt after reading this. I really didn't know how to respond.

I'm the first to say that I don't like this look. I find it fake and would not pay anyone to do this to my pictures or accept anyone pay me for this. I find it tacky and cheesy. But that is me.

Just because no other photographer does it does not mean that it is something that should not be done. If everyone were to think like that, then everyone would work like a cookie cutter and offer the same things. The world would be very bland.

For what it is, its good. If someone wants a plastic porcelain look with ultra freaky eyes, that is exactly what they got. And if their budget for $7000 works, then who am I to say thats too much.

If someone wants to buy a classic red ferrari and paint it pink with yellow polkadots, thats their choice. If they are ok with paying someone $50,000 for that paint job, and they get the paint job they want, then its all good.

If the clients are happy with the result and getting what they pay for, then why would you feel bad for them? They have the money, they got the product as requested.

I'm not sure if you have an intent to be a pro photographer, or even if you are one now, you might want to look more into the business end of things. If some people are willing to pay for something that you can do a good job on, then you get a contract. If those people show 20 of their friends and 2 like it and call you, you get 2 more contracts.

Ok, that really hurt too, but thank you for defending me in your really backslap way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back