Calgary Sunrise

Demers18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are my first attempts at a sunrise. I love the color and found the clouds helped fill the image in and created a nice subject.

Let me know what you think

#1 Colorful City - I know the lights are slightly out of focus, unfortunately I didn't have my tripod with me, really kicking myself for that.

6703847381_4693d44cf0_z.jpg
[/URL] _MG_0738 - Colorful City by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

#2 Forest Shadow

6703856901_5b4a2c59cc_z.jpg
[/URL] _MG_0744 - Forest Shadow by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
The Chinook Arch shows up nice.

Go to the hill above and east of the stampede grounds, there is a very nice view across the city towards the mountains. It's nice at sunrise with the sun illuminating the buildings and at sunset when the sun backlights the buildings. You get to it from 17 ave SE, turn right as you top the hill from the river bottom.

Another good place for nice close downtown views is anywhere along the park overlooking downtown just on the north side of the Bow. Go up Center Street and go towards the west when you get to the top of the hill.

Patrice said:

Go to the hill above and east of the stampede grounds, there is a very nice view across the city towards the mountains. It's nice at sunrise with the sun illuminating the buildings and at sunset when the sun backlights the buildings. You get to it from 17 ave SE, turn right as you top the hill from the river bottom.

Another good place for nice close downtown views is anywhere along the park overlooking downtown just on the north side of the Bow. Go up Center Street and go towards the west when you get to the top of the hill.

Thanks for the locations. I'll definitely check them out.

These shots were taken close to Sarcee Trail and Bow trail.

I dropped off my wife and had the camera with me and had to stop when I saw this, wasn't planned at all.

Local knowledge - priceless.

Another good place for nice close downtown views is anywhere along the park overlooking downtown just on the north side of the Bow. Go up Centre Street and go towards the west when you get to the top of the hill.

Fantastic sunrises over one of my favourite cities. You nailed the first one. Were they both from the same location?

To add to what Patrice has said, I believe the first location is known locally as "Scotchman's Hill" - folks used to go up there for a free view of the Stampede, but no more - parking restrictions killed that one. The second location is in Crescent Heights - Crescent Rd NW - you can get access off 10th St. northbound opposite the entrance to SAIT - southbound 10th has some turn restrictions. Both sites also will give you some great vistas of the city during the daytime as well. The east side of Nose hill off 14th St will also give you some great sunrises.

For good sunsets, if you don't mind driving a bit, the new Glenbow Ranch park off the highway towards Cochrane has some fantastic views to the west from the parking lot area.

Each of these sites will give you different perspectives depending on the time of year of course.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

WesternGuy said:
Fantastic sunrises over one of my favourite cities. You nailed the first one. Were they both from the same location?

To add to what Patrice has said, I believe the first location is known locally as "Scotchman's Hill" - folks used to go up there for a free view of the Stampede, but no more - parking restrictions killed that one. The second location is in Crescent Heights - Crescent Rd NW - you can get access off 10th St. northbound opposite the entrance to SAIT - southbound 10th has some turn restrictions. Both sites also will give you some great vistas of the city during the daytime as well. The east side of Nose hill off 14th St will also give you some great sunrises.

For good sunsets, if you don't mind driving a bit, the new Glenbow Ranch park off the highway towards Cochrane has some fantastic views to the west from the parking lot area.

Each of these sites will give you different perspectives depending on the time of year of course.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thanks Westernguy!

Yes they were both Aiken from the same location. #2 was taken more to the right, couldn't really do the same type of panorama with out a building getting in the way, although one building with the trees might not be bad.

I'm actually quite familiar with Crescent Heights and been wanting to go for a while, simply hadn't had the time. I was wondering where a good spot would be in Nose Hill Park, wouldn't have thought of 14 St.

I'm in the SW so Glenbow Ranch park isn't that far off and I've heard lots of good things about it. I'll have to check it out.

Soo many places around the city to get some great shots. Then all you need is to go a little west and you have the Rockies... Can't wait to go hiking and try to get some panorama's. Going to have to wait till spring/summer for those ones though.

Nice shots, beautiful sky for the skyline.

Soo many places around the city to get some great shots. Then all you need is to go a little west and you have the Rockies... Can't wait to go hiking and try to get some panorama's. Going to have to wait till spring/summer for those ones though.
As much as it's in my blood to dislike Calgary (born & raised in Edmonton), I'm very jealous of your proximity to the mountains. Once you get free from the traffic, it's only what...an hour, to get into some great mountain areas? It's more like 3 1/2 or 4 hours from Edmonton :(.

Back in 2007 we had a 'Photo Forum' meet up in the Rocky Mountains. Mostly local members but one just came all the way from Florida. I spent a week, just shooting photos (& driving to locations). It was great and most of my best landscape shots are all from that trip.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/past-meetups/89064-rocky-mountain-meet-up-july-2007-a.html

I'm thinking of trying to get out there for a whole week of shooting, maybe in the spring or summer. I usually get out there to go camping, but as it's a family trip, I only have limited time for photography.

Nice shots, beautiful sky for the skyline.

As much as it's in my blood to dislike Calgary (born & raised in Edmonton), I'm very jealous of your proximity to the mountains. Once you get free from the traffic, it's only what...an hour, to get into some great mountain areas? It's more like 3 1/2 or 4 hours from Edmonton :(.

Back in 2007 we had a 'Photo Forum' meet up in the Rocky Mountains. Mostly local members but one just came all the way from Florida. I spent a week, just shooting photos (& driving to locations). It was great and most of my best landscape shots are all from that trip.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/past-meetups/89064-rocky-mountain-meet-up-july-2007-a.html

I'm thinking of trying to get out there for a whole week of shooting, maybe in the spring or summer. I usually get out there to go camping, but as it's a family trip, I only have limited time for photography.

Those are some really good photo's! Nice work. I recognize a lot of the places you went to.

Can't blame you, it's the battle of Alberta. ;) I'm from Montreal I feel the same way about Toronto.

From where I live, you can be in Kananaskis within 45 minutes and it takes about an 1.25 hrs to get to Banff, and as you know form there, well you have soo many options. To spend an actual week out there for just photography would be amazing, you could get to soo many secluded places that don't take that much hiking to get to and get some great shots.

Most reactions

Back