Calibrated monitor and what others see

The first one is uncalibrated, the second one is sRGB, it does look a little washed out - and thats on a calibrated monitor. Is it the settings in Canon DPP that you are using that may be causing it?

MIght be worth checking the output settings of that to see what you're putting into PS

I'll be honest, I only use DPP to look through the shots to see which ones I want to edit. Then I open up the raw file in PS and go from there.

How is the first one uncalibrated? They were both done in PS?

Sorry I'm such a pain....

It's uncalibrated in that it has no colour space assigned to it, not sure how that happens but when I first installed Lightroom it defaulted to prophotoRGB and any jpegs that I made came out muddy and uncalibrated in the Exif - might be that it's a colour space that jpeg doesn't really support or recognise.

If you are shooting in RAW, then as you open up in PS and it gives you the RAW editing screen, check in the bottom corner that it is importing it as sRGB. If you are shooting jpeg, check the colour space that your camera is using

It's uncalibrated in that it has no colour space assigned to it, not sure how that happens but when I first installed Lightroom it defaulted to prophotoRGB and any jpegs that I made came out muddy and uncalibrated in the Exif - might be that it's a colour space that jpeg doesn't really support or recognise.

If you are shooting in RAW, then as you open up in PS and it gives you the RAW editing screen, check in the bottom corner that it is importing it as sRGB. If you are shooting jpeg, check the colour space that your camera is using

Got it--just checked and that is the problem. The raw file said Adobe RGB, not sRGB. I really appreciate all of your advice.

So is there any way to change the one's I've already completed (such as the senior portrait above)...or do I need to start from scratch?

You could open them up in PS, then convert to sRGB (Edit > Convert To Profile in CS2) - then see what it looks like, make any adjustments as necessary and save as a different file, upload it and have a look. Failing that, it might be worth starting on the RAW again.

I had a play with the senior portrait and it came out pretty good with a few tweaks.

You could open them up in PS, then convert to sRGB (Edit > Convert To Profile in CS2) - then see what it looks like, make any adjustments as necessary and save as a different file, upload it and have a look. Failing that, it might be worth starting on the RAW again.

I had a play with the senior portrait and it came out pretty good with a few tweaks.

Tempra, Thank you so much for your help. I tried that in PS, but I didn't see any difference. I think that what I will do is have the client come to my house to see the proofs before putting them online. That way she can see the difference and what they will look like when printed.

My next photo shoot--I will make sure I have everything set up correctly.

What's interesting is that this problem only began a few months ago...I wonder if I messed something up in PS and didn't realize (it's possible...I AM blonde.) :lol:

Most reactions

Back