calibration question

mully4235

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this.
I'm using a Dell E153FP monitor and I am calibrated (although it sure doesn't seem like it). I am going crazy. When I view the photos on my end they look very yellow, my boys look like bananas. Until I post online. Then they definitely don't look yellow and they look a lot brighter, usually too bright. I don't understand how the color can change so much like that. It's the same monitor?! I was messing around with the buttons on my monitor and went into the main menu and color settings. In Color Setting it has Normal Preset, Blue Preset, Red Preset, and User Preset. It's set to Normal Preset. Blue looks too blue, Red looks too red, but User Preset looks a lot better. My children aren't bananas and I can see how my pics are way too bright. Am I supposed to be using Normal Preset or User Preset? Oh, and I use Window Photo Gallery to view my pics once done editing. Should I not be using that? What else should I be using? Thanks in advance!

When you say your monitor is "calibrated", what exactly do you mean?

Are you simply using a built in color profile in the monitor? Using an external calibration device, calibration software, etc.?

Your photos you posted in the other thread do look really, really bright to me, both on my Asus 23" HD monitor and my 15" MacBook Pro glossy screen.

Are you editing/shooting in the right colorspace? the web uses sRGB. If you are in another color space like AdobeRGB there can be a difference. ( sometimes photoshop is set to open and save files in a specific one and if you don't realize it, it can mess you up. ) Also, please specify how you "calibrated". The pic of your boys looks kinda yellow to me to on my calibrated monitor. I recall it looking alright on my phone though ( although overexposed it appeared )

I find this helpful when trying to calibrate contrast... Its a cheap and easy solution. Unfortunately it doesn't help with your color calibration. Set your contrast so you can see all 26 blocks...

Monitor%20Calibration.jpg

Display calibration hardware comes in 2 types:
  1. colorimeters (for computer displays only)
  2. spectrophotometers. (for computer displays, printers and scanners.)
The ColorMunki device gryphonslair99 linked to is a spectrophotometer.

The type of display you have also applies. There are 3 display types:
  1. Twisted Nematic (TN)
  2. Parallel Vertical Alignment (PVA)
  3. In-Plne Switching (IPS)
The IPS type of display is preferred for image editing, then PVA, and TN last. Most laptops have TN displays making laptops undesirable for critical image editing, unless connected to an external IPS display.

When you say your monitor is "calibrated", what exactly do you mean?

Are you simply using a built in color profile in the monitor? Using an external calibration device, calibration software, etc.?

I have calibrated it with Spyder2Express.

Are you editing/shooting in the right colorspace? the web uses sRGB. If you are in another color space like AdobeRGB there can be a difference. ( sometimes photoshop is set to open and save files in a specific one and if you don't realize it, it can mess you up. )

I think I'm in sRGB. How do I tell for sure? Does this help?

Untitled-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I find this helpful when trying to calibrate contrast... Its a cheap and easy solution. Unfortunately it doesn't help with your color calibration. Set your contrast so you can see all 26 blocks...

I can see all blocks.

Most reactions

Back