California Beach Long Exposure

noahx1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this photo in Santa Barbara awhile ago, and I've been having some trouble editing the shot. I like the subject, but think the colors blend together too much between the ocean and the sky, and would love some feedback/different opinions! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5845 No Marks.JPG
    IMG_5845 No Marks.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
Way too much of a blue cast; you might try warming it up a bit.

Thanks! So, I don't have photoshop yet, but I messed around with the colors and temp a little bit, what do you think of this?

Attachments

• IMG_5845 No Marks Eddit Temp.jpg
    IMG_5845 No Marks Eddit Temp.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 135
It's also looks like your tripod moved when taking the shot, as the whole shot is blurred.
Yeah, it was hard to keep absolutely stable on the sand. Any tips for something like this? Maybe get a bag to weight the tripod down straight or dig it in a little bit?

Thanks! So, I don't have photoshop yet, but I messed around with the colors and temp a little bit, what do you think of this?

Much better, although now the water looks more green than blue! Can you do a layer mask with your software?

Yeah, it was hard to keep absolutely stable on the sand. Any tips for something like this? Maybe get a bag to weight the tripod down straight or dig it in a little bit?

Sure, move back a bit or increase the surface area of your tripod feet. There was probably too much water in the sand which meant that your tripod was sinking as you were taking the shot. So make sure your tripod is locked up and move back to above the water line, shoot a bit wider and crop later or zoom to get the composition. If there are plenty of rocks aroung put flat ones under the tripod feet to distribute the weight over a bigger surface area which should stop it sinking. Digging the tripod in or adding weight would only help if it's the waves hitting the tripod legs that's causing the vibration, but even then I'd be more inclined to move back to a more stable position.

Rule number one for long exposures is you need a stable base, if you don't have that the image is screwed. By all means take a shot in the position you want but chimp it after and check for movement, that way you can check for movement and stabilise and re-shoot.

Much better, although now the water looks more green than blue! Can you do a layer mask with your software?
I can, I'm just not very good at it yet :p but this is what I came up with. My only issue is that now the reflection on the water is a totally different color than the sky so it looks a little out of place to me.

Attachments

• IMG_5845 No Marks Dimensions Edit.jpg
    IMG_5845 No Marks Dimensions Edit.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 116

Sure, move back a bit or increase the surface area of your tripod feet. There was probably too much water in the sand which meant that your tripod was sinking as you were taking the shot. So make sure your tripod is locked up and move back to above the water line, shoot a bit wider and crop later or zoom to get the composition. If there are plenty of rocks aroung put flat ones under the tripod feet to distribute the weight over a bigger surface area which should stop it sinking. Digging the tripod in or adding weight would only help if it's the waves hitting the tripod legs that's causing the vibration, but even then I'd be more inclined to move back to a more stable position.

Rule number one for long exposures is you need a stable base, if you don't have that the image is screwed. By all means take a shot in the position you want but chimp it after and check for movement, that way you can check for movement and stabilise and re-shoot.
Great! Thanks so much for the help, this is all great advice, and very useful for a newbie like me! Much appreciated :)

FWIW - the color problem of the original, to much blue, is because of the camera's white balance setting.
Just like the example here on the left:
Understanding White Balance
Thank you! White balance is something that I am totally new on, I appreciate you sending me that link!

Here is a quick edit using lightroom mobile:

35309-1480758278-4da814e52d4f0261de41b10fbe818920.jpg

Your sky is a bit blown out so you'll want to watch the highlights in the future, but it should give you an idea of what is possible with this type of image.

Here is a quick edit using lightroom mobile:

35309-1480758278-4da814e52d4f0261de41b10fbe818920.jpg

Your sky is a bit blown out so you'll want to watch the highlights in the future, but it should give you an idea of what is possible with this type of image.
Thank you! Lightroom is definitely something I will be investing in in the future.

One way I keep a tripod more stable on sand is to use hard plastic picnic dinner plates. I put them out on the sand and put my tripod legs on the plates - they will usually have a lip on them put the legs against them.

One way I keep a tripod more stable on sand is to use hard plastic picnic dinner plates. I put them out on the sand and put my tripod legs on the plates - they will usually have a lip on them put the legs against them.
Great idea! I will definitely look into doing this in the future!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back