Call for legal “right to repair” own electronics

Has to be Apple. Oh how I hated them in the past. I assume they're still doing the same old crap. When I worked full-time I used to be responsible for maintaining three labs full of MACs -- close to 100 computers. The IT staff working for me were talented and capable repair people. We just needed parts. I remember at one point the repair shop in our area was reluctant to sell us parts insisting we bring the computers in for them to service. It took some phone calls but I was able to convince them to sell us repair parts as long as we agreed to turn in the damaged parts -- they insisted Apple required the damaged parts shipped back as part of their "green initiative." I smelled rotten apples and started looking closely at the new parts we were getting -- like power supplies. They weren't new, they were re-manufactured. But we were paying the Apple new parts price of three times the street price for a similar generic power supply. I told our staff to bring me any further burned out power supplies or drives etc. first. Then I'd take them home and remove the housing -- out in the yard a few minutes with a butane torch would nicely melt the insides to a charred glob. Then I stuck in a note that read: re-manufacture this bleep bleep!

Joe

Tractors too, huh? Well maybe the ones that go by my house to the mill ought to go after the companies who are staying proprietary, that'd be a sight! But really, yeah, things should be more reparable instead of us being so wasteful because it's easier and cheaper to trash the old and buy a new whatever it is.

I've noticed my old iPhones slow down when a new version becomes available. Websites tracked user complaints on that. I still have my old iPhones as they are useful for stuff. My first one was a large memory one, which is my iPod now as it contained all my music and functions in my car, hidden away, connected all the time.

But learning that they have algorythms that slow down your older iPhone is something that we've all thought they did. Now they admit it. Sounds of Class Action lawsuit are ringing through ...

how are they going to force you to buy a new $1000 computer with horrible UI if they allow you to change the batteries...
Why would you spend an extra $500 on one if you could just buy your own SD card for $20...

you know there are other phones out there, that allow you to do both, and both with much better UI than Apple phones. I seriously have no idea why apple phones got so popular -- they are pretty awful in all aspects.

Most don't realize the amount of electronics that go in today's new farm equipment. The operator that farms one of our farms, took me on a tour of some new toys he had bought this year. Most interesting was the late model used self propelled sprayer he had bought this year at a price of just under 200k. The cab looked more like a fighter jet cockpit with it's arrays of dials, switches and electronics. Just about everything on this rig is controlled by computers from spray volume, terrain leveling (on the unit and the boom), steering via gps, engine functions, etc. With the capability of covering over 100 acres per hour, sitting idle at a critical time waiting on a repair tech is not an option.

Though not necessarily as high tech as the sprayer, just about all his equipment includes electronics now. While he's been fortunate for now that he hasn't had significant down time, he realizes that it's only a matter of time. With equipment prices soaring (try $500K for a combine) it's one thing to have a $1,000 computer sitting idle for a day, and quite a different matter for a half million dollar piece of equipment dead in the water. Manufacturers will have no choice but to start working with their consumers.

how are they going to force you to buy a new $1000 computer with horrible UI if they allow you to change the batteries...
Why would you spend an extra $500 on one if you could just buy your own SD card for $20...

you know there are other phones out there, that allow you to do both, and both with much better UI than Apple phones. I seriously have no idea why apple phones got so popular -- they are pretty awful in all aspects.

Eh, that’s completely subjective.

I’ve owned 6-8 iPhones and 4-5 androids. Every time I get an Android I end up back to the iPhone within 6 months because I get sick of the glitches and problems with the Android phones.

I like Apple phones and computers because they do the one thing no other company has figured out; they get the hell out of my way and allow me to work on my projects or tasks without interfering.

Eh, that’s completely subjective.

I’ve owned 6-8 iPhones and 4-5 androids. Every time I get an Android I end up back to the iPhone within 6 months because I get sick of the glitches and problems with the Android phones.

I like Apple phones and computers because they do the one thing no other company has figured out; they get the hell out of my way and allow me to work on my projects or tasks without interfering.
I like Apple phones too for ... get this .. the PHONE part of it.
I cannot stand the method Android has implemented the phone "app" whereas with Apple the Phone is more upfront. Hanging up an Android phone seems like a chore compared to Apple. Every time I try an Android, I'm back to an iPhone. My son has an Android and I'm always checking it out. True, the Androids are cheaper and offer better features, except for the phone part. I'd need an iPhone for the phone with an Android for the features.

But everyone is different in they way they use their stuff.

I cannot stand the method Android has implemented the phone "app" whereas with Apple the Phone is more upfront. Hanging up an Android phone seems like a chore compared to Apple. Every time I try an Android, I'm back to an iPhone. My son has an Android and I'm always checking it out. True, the Androids are cheaper and offer better features, except for the phone part. I'd need an iPhone for the phone with an Android for the features.

So what do you do to 'hang up' an iPhone?

So what do you do to 'hang up' an iPhone?
press (not swipe or anything) the hang up button. One you bring it away from your face it brings up the phone screen automatically.

On my past Androids when you have the phone up to your face it shuts off the screen. So you have to swipe to get it back. Then if you got the call during doing something then you have to bring up the phone app then hang up. Otherwise hit hangup which I believe was a swipe. One should not have to do anything to go to hangup immediately. I'm sure various Androids may be different (Samsung and another) and this and that but my Androids pushed me to the iPhone.

YMMV of course, just like cameras.

press (not swipe or anything) the hang up button. One you bring it away from your face it brings up the phone screen automatically............

'Zactly how my 'droid works.

Recently I bought a watch at a yard sale for $3. It looked like a fairly expensive model (Citizen Eco-Drive) and it wasn't running but it looked almost like new. I often buy watches like that, replace the battery and re-sell them. I figured I'd replace the battery on this one too. But, after I got it home I opened it up and it doesn't have a battery exactly, at least not one that is accessible without taking the movement apart. I don't want to risk damaging it so I took it to a local shop that replaces watch batteries and the guy tells me it doesn't take a battery. It takes an “energy cell” and it costs about $100 to have it replaced. No way I'm gonna do that so I took my non-running watch home.

I did some research and found out that the watch can simply be recharged by placing it under a light source and then re-set and it should run. So I did that and – bingo – it's now running fine.

I'll bet the person I bought it from also took it to a shop and was told the same thing I was told but didn't bother to do the research and figured they'd just sell it for a few bucks to get rid of it, losing the hundreds of dollars they originally paid for it.

Last edited:
press (not swipe or anything) the hang up button. One you bring it away from your face it brings up the phone screen automatically............

'Zactly how my 'droid works.
YES .. YMMV as mentioned.
Mine never were .. Samsung or other brands. I may have been an older OS version, etc etc etc but that was the way my Androids worked. No good for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back