Call me crazy....

As I figured, the project got postponed 'til at least next weekend. The film back is still giving me a bit of difficulty... I can't seem to find any decent pictures or detailed descriptions of them. Has anybody got any pictures of one they might have? Otherwise, I'm probably going to wind up with something completely off the wall.

Best way to go is to use slide holders, either single or double-sided.

You'll need to mill a narrow slot for the film and another for the slide. In addition, you'll need a hinged top with a black-felt-lined slot for the slide.

A neat bit of wood working. I suggest a stable fine-frain wood such as cherry.

I was kind of thinking of 4X5 recess in a front plate, with a back plate to keep the film pushed all the way forward, so the film is sandwiched. The slide, I figured, would go in a slot in front of the film, and I was thinking about making it a type that can't come all the way out, to prevent light-sealing issues. And it would be double-sided, held together with a couple small screws and wing nuts.

I'll have to draw a diagram of what I'm talking about... but for now, it's bed time.

So, I started it up today. Less than ten dollars worth of hardwood for everything except the rail and the clamps which hold the standards to the rail. And I haven't started on the film back yet. That's the trickiest part. The neat thing, thouugh, is that they let you pick up any scraps from other people's projects for free. That should come in handy, as the folks making the cabinets leave behind lots of goodly-sized pieces of skinny plywood, which I believe shall come in quite handy for the back and the lens board. All together, I've got fourteen pieces, though they still need joining together.

Next shop session is Tuesday.

James D: Now you've done it! Shame on you!

I've ordered a 36mm diameter 350mm fl anastigmat. I'll stop the puppy down to f128 and mount it, along with a simple slide shutter, in a box of 1/8" thick presswood. I'll start with paper negatives and see what develops [Sorry!] from there.

Excuse me while I do the cha-ching motion and exclaim YESSSS!! And maybe dance a jig.

Welcome to me and Charlie's world. You're more than welcome to help us explore it over in the Alt Techniques forum.

Paper negatives are fun, and old lenses are fun, and pinhole is fun. If you have any questions, we'll be more than happy to tell you everything we know, and then some. And I do mean EVERYTHING and MORE. :mrgreen:

And... if you're going to use f128, you might try it with no lens, as that's virtually a pinhole aperture itself. Not sure what the difference will be between with-lens and without-lens, but my guess is that a straight pinhole will be softer. Ask Charlie over in Alt Tech's; I believe he's done exactly that before.

As for my view camera... this is a four-day weekend coming up, so I may actually get the thing completed! I'll be so excited!

you are crazy but so am I...

The difference is the glass lens is sharper someone discribed it as shaping the light. I expect it keeps the beam tighter till it reaches the focal point which is where the film or paper is placed.

Now tell me I am crazy. there is a revolutionary war encampment tomorrow and sunday. I have loaded a box of 3x4 carriers and am going to load a box of 2x3 carriers and I'm off to make portraits this time. I have all the lenses tested and it's an all film day.

Im going to shoot some with my converted polaroid 160... some with the polaroid 250 with the kodak 4.5 annastigmat lens and even some with the f90 2x3 but those will be still life around the camp. I have a f128 lens cap for the polaroids.... Well it should be interesting. This time I am taking only good lenses and film. This is going to be my best shot at judging retro cameras and lenses. (this is where the maniacal laugh comes from down the hall)

Good luck, Charlie! As it happens, I haven't gone back to work on my new camera. Add it to the list of things I must do.... reflection enlarger, film backlog, print backlog, website updates, WORK, auto repairs and service, housekeeping, writing, posting here, research, study, more WORK, and, naturally, playing Runescape. It's an addictive little game...

Most reactions

Back