Call of the Drake

ShutteredEye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.theshutteredeye.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Shot this of my Golden, Bo in my backyard. I really just squeezed a few off to finish the roll, but I kind of liked this one. He has a really expressive face (as most Goldens do,) and I really wanted to capture that alert, distant look that almost all bird dogs get when they hear the feathering of wings in the wind overhead.

200Fuji film/5.6/1/60th/~150mm/Rebel GII 35mm

Bo1.jpg

I LOVE IT! This is a beautiful shot. My beagle gets that same look when she points. The detail on this is fantastic and what an amazing coat. If this is what happens when you "Finish the roll" I would love to see something you actually set up! Great work.

are you looking for technical critiquing or whether you captured that alert look you were after? if technical, the overall image, especially the face and head, is way blown for my taste. i do however believe you captured that alert look. beautiful dog!

I like that filmy look of it.
You could probably control the highlights in PS.
Apart from the highlight issue, I like this portrait! :)

JonMikal said:
are you looking for technical critiquing or whether you captured that alert look you were after? if technical, the overall image, especially the face and head, is way blown for my taste. i do however believe you captured that alert look. beautiful dog!

Yah, it was blown out. And I'm not sure why. I thought I metered it right on, but somehow it ended up over exposed. I haven't messed with it too much in PS, any particular procedures you'd recommend?

Thanks for all the comments guys! I appreciate it!

i would try the burn tool before the shadow/highlight option because there are portions of the dogs coat that are dead-on. be careful of the exposure setting...work with 25-30% on midtones.

mountainlander said:
JonMikal:

Do you like this one any better?

i definitely like the exposure better...very nice, however, i prefer the first composition.

Most reactions

Back