Calumet

Jeff Canes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[FONT=&quot]This maybe a stupid and useless question but it has been bugging me. Why the name Calumet for a camera store. That’s Canadian French for Native American smoking pipes. What do smoking pipes have to with photography? Am I missing something? Has anyone else every wonder the same think? [/FONT]

Never thought of it. Since Native American are well known for their "peace pipes"...Maybe its relation of "peace"...When you take pictures (well for me) Its Peaceful...Other than that, no idea

leave it to the french...

lol no I'm just joking.

Who knows man...it's probably just a name.

Did it start in the Chicago area? Calumet, Illinois, for example. And Calumet baking powder.

Neal could be on to something....there is a Calumet Photographic in Chicago, and I know they said it's a flagship store. I also know it's a really long walk to get there in the freezing cold just to exchange a 50mm lens that you bought for someone for Christmas, just 2 days before they bought a better 50mm, forcing you to travel all the way to Chicago again, and walking all the way to the dark scary industrial area of Chicago that Calumet is located in, so you can exchange it for a gift card, since that someone also bought the better version of the plan B gift you had in mind.

Right, Sky?

Edit: It did originate in Chicago.

[FONT=&quot]This maybe a stupid and useless question but it has been bugging me. Why the name Calumet for a camera store. That’s Canadian French for Native American smoking pipes. What do smoking pipes have to with photography? Am I missing something? Has anyone else every wonder the same think? [/FONT]

hmmm...maybe it has to do with what you're smoking :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back