Camera Advice for photo shoot

halen99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, newbie here. I want to take a back and white photo of my wife standing in front of an old church for the cover of a record I'm making. I was planning on doing this with a digital camera until I did some research on black and white pictures and film.

I did some searching but there is too much info out there. Can anyone give me the pros to this? Also say I want to spend a few hundred for a film camera that does well with black and white, some makes and models ideas would be great. Please?

EL:D

oh yeah I wanted to mention I'm into vintage musical instruments so I'd really dig a nice vintage camera.. ?

Practically any film camera you will find, can shoot B&W film. So the options are endless.

Of course, there are many types/sizes of film that aren't mass produced anymore, so they might be harder to find and process.

Any digital image can be converted to B&W.

$200 will pick you up an excellent 35mm body and 50mm lens. I would however recommend doing this in digital since, as Mike points out, you can conver to mono, but also retain the flexibility of other techniques such as selective colouration, destauration, etc.

Just get a quality point and shoot camera from your local Best Buy if all you're going to use it for is this one image. Then down the road you might get some use out of it for other things if you keep it handy.

I have a decent digital camera. I was just curious if you fine people agree with the findings on a google search.. that for black and white photos, film is better suited. It doesn't matter to me that this is for a only a few photos, if I like the results I'd continue this hobby.

thanks!

EL

Digital can do everything film can do and more. With film you'll have to convert it to digital anyway. I would shot digital, convert it to B&W, edit it to taste and have it used for print.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back