Camera advice/recommendation needed

KristinaStaykova

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Dear Photographers,

I need advice on purchasing a camera.
I am planning a photography course in fall 2017, but want to start shooting a lot now.
My subjects will be mainly people and animals. I have two beautiful children to practice on, as well as a lot of family/friends.
My main frustration with my photos so far has been the fact that my photos are very flat and I can't seem to make anything stand out/fade in with the cameras I'm using.
Your opinions are highly appreciated.

Kristina

You probably need to give an idea of budget and if you want a camera that you can swap lenses or not

My main frustration with my photos so far has been the fact that my photos are very flat and I can't seem to make anything stand out/fade in with the cameras I'm using.
That is usually more a problem with lighting and editing than anything else.

Stand out/fade in to me means "create images with shallow depth of field effects" and "selective focus photos". How about an entry-level d-slr camera that's in the $359-$499 price range, along with an 18-55 kit zoom lens, then a 35mm or 50mm f/1.8 prime lens?

What camera are you using now?
There are many choices, in all kind of price ranges.
What budget do have in mind?
Rudi

Ido and Derrel pretty much covered the 2 basics.
I think in your case the main problem is no experience.
For when it comes to equipment even the most basic DSLR will be able to give you the results you want.
Since I dont know your budget I will try something not too expenvie.

Nikon D5300 with its kit lens Nikon 18-55mm and to that add the Nikon 50mm 1.8G
Add a flash and you have the most basic set up.
If you want to get nicer results you should get for at least one umbrella with 2 flash triggers which are very cheap.

With the Nikon 50mm 1.8G you should dial the aperture to around f2.8 so you get good seperation from your background, this will crete a plesaent look to your main subject.
I would say start without the flash and after you feel you get nice shots then you can add the flash and other accessories.

Good luck

Stand out/fade in to me means "create images with shallow depth of field effects" and "selective focus photos".

right, a basic Canon Rebel and 50mm 1.8 or 55-250IS and flash works

Most reactions

Back