Camera Advice

CnG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im looking into purchasing my wife a nice camera for Christmas. Right now she has a Kodak z1012is, and I was looking into getting her a dslr camera. The model of cameras I was looking at are the Nikon D5000 with 18-55mm lens, or the Canon Rebel xsi with 18-55mm lens. Which camera would be a better for her. She has never used dslr cameras so this would be her first.

Thanks in advance.

I dont know her, her skill level, comfort level in learning, size of her hands, etc... so its hard to tell.

Both cameras are great cameras for beginners, however they can feel different in your hands.

Suggestion, dont buy her something, bring her to the store to try the two models and see which feels better. Dont bother with pictures in store, to "judge" how good it is, just focus on button layout, menu, grip, and so on.

ill plan a trip to best buy for gifts and make a little stop over at the cameras. But how about quality? Easier to find upgrades, wider selection. She wants to get more into photography. She was thinking about going to an art institute but i told her it would probably be better to use that money towards a camera and upgrades, and a survival guide.

You can't go wrong with either a Nikon or Cannon in terms of optics and options. I'd go to a camera store as opposed to BB and put her hands on both and pick what feels best.

A photography course that teaches basics of light, composition and exposure would also be a good investment. This can be at a local camera shop, jr. college, university, etc. You might want to look into this first, as they often require students to have a 35mm film camera. Ebay or Craigslist will fetch a decent enough unit for learning around $60.

Ok thanks for the information.

here is some of her pics from the kodak they are unedited straight off the camera.

100_0708.jpg

100_0769.jpg

100_0818.jpg

Also what a good program, that is fairly easy to use to edit the photos after?

Both the cameras you mention are great cameras to learn with. The more important piece of equipment in photography is a lens. Getting a more expensive / professional lens will be an investment and provide much cleaner and sharper images. You buy a good lens and it will last 10 years. You buy a good body, it will be upgradable in a year, and probably a must change in 3-4 years due to new technology being available.

I have an XSI and its a great camera. I'm at the point where I'm looking to upgrade the body, I've had my camera for 1.5 years. The D5000 is also a great camera.

Both can easily be used for 2-3+ years.

You can get a pro lens on a entry level body for both Nikon and Canon, so they are considered camera systems that you buy into and grow with.

Really, focus on the feel of the camera and the button and menu layout. I personally never jived with Nikon. Others never jived with Canon.

But definatly look into education and learning of the basics of photography. The three pictures you posted can greatly be improved if someone knows how to do some basics.

A great book to pick up is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Highly recommended!

will pick this up today

Why dont you compare them? ;)

I would go with the D5000, but since im a Nikon lover im biased. When choosing between brands its easiest to see them in real life, compare which ones easier to hold for you, andwhich one you like the feel of better and after that you got yourself a camera! :D

I suggest going into your camera shop and doing this. Its simple. Also think about the future, since glass is top priority you might want to look into the lens range of the future. If you buy a canon and decide to switch over in a couple years it might be costly. Make the best choice for you.

Hope that helps.

With the current instant rebate, the Rebel XSi + 18-55 kit + 55-250 telephoto lens deal at Amazon is hard to turn down. It costs less than the D5000 + 18-55 kit.

Most reactions

Back