Camera advice

Sunnybird

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK, so I want to invest in my first proper camera for pursuing photography at a deeper level. I want to get a SLR camera, preferably a digital one but I'm not sure what make to go for! It needs to be a good, decent but also an economically sound investment (and suitable for beginners but also has enough there for the beginner to progress with!). I would love some help / suggestions please! Shall I go for a Canon, Nikon, Olympus......too much choice!

Thanks,

Sunnybird :wink:

Its going to come down to what you like. Try out some of the cameras. See what feels good in your hand. I am a Nikon user. Lots and lots of canon fans on this sight. As well as some pentax and minolta(now sony) people.

That is good advice. Go into a store and try some different ones out. You can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon...and there are other good brands as well.

Don't agonize too much over your choice. Whatever camera you end up with, beyond the very simplest of the point and shoots, will give you the opportunity to get started. In addition, with time and as you start to focus [sorry!] on certain types of pictures, your camera will let you know whether you need something 'better' or not. Always remember that many of the prints we now judge to be great were made with equipment that today's photographers would call obsolete.

And the very best to you. Enjoy!

please copy and paste the below questions iwith as many answers as you can give, this way others can help you to find a camera that fits your needs.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

2)What is your megapixel preference? (The higher the megapixel count, the larger your image dimensions.)

3) What size camera would you prefer?
a. SLR; 1.5 lb+
b. SLR-like (Prosumer); >1.5lb
c. Compact; >0.75lb
d. Ultra-Compact; >0.5lb

4) What subjects will you be shooting with the camera?

5) Do you want the ability to change your lenses?

6) Do you plan to do any heavy post-processing in Photoshop (or related programs) or do you want to print images straight from the camera?

7) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

icon_cool.gif
Is battery life a concern to you, and how many shots do you hope to take?

9) Do you mind buying the camera online without seeing the camera in person?

10) Did you plan to make large prints or mere snapshots with the camera?

11) Do you want a large rear LCD to view your pictures with?

12) Is the camera's looks and stylishness important to you?

13) How long do you want the camera to last?

14) How much storage capacity do you want? (this is memory card dependent, but some mediums are cheaper than the other)

15) Do you need a video recording capability?

Please state any additional features you need/want. If you don't know how to answer a question or don't care about what it is asking then just say so!

I hope I got much of what there is to cover.. This wiill continually evolve.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back