Camera Advice

Knightmare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm new to this forum

I have been using digital cameras since the 1-2mp days. Ever since I have been a point and shoot, el cheapo basic cameras. I have a desire to take nice pictures, my father has a Kodak z6xx something, that I hate It cannot do indoor shots good and also fails to do night shots. I am looking for my own digital camera that takes nice pictures.

I am looking for:
6+ MP
10x zoom
Looks like an SLR
Manual Focus (not required but i like it in a camera)
At least ISO 1600
Good at night shots!
Price: Less than $350

So far I have found two cameras that seem to be what I want: FujiFilm s6000fd, s9000. Would these be good for a professional point and shooter looking to take better photos?

Thanks,
KNI

Welcome to the forum.

My suggestion would be to increase your budget and look into an entry level digital SLR camera.

So far I have found two cameras that seem to be what I want: FujiFilm s6000fd, s9000. Would these be good for a professional point and shooter looking to take better photos?

Thanks,
KNI
What is a "professional point and shooter" all around I agree with mike DSLR all the way you can probably find a used one that fits your budget or budget a little more money and get a new one.

I would love to get an entry DSLR, but I am only 16 on a tight budget trying to also get a decent car. So $350 is stretching it, anyway what I mean by "professional point and shooter" is i heard a term called prosumer and I was looking into them. Are their any other suggestions to a good camera with some of my needs?

I believe Canon started the whole Professional Point and shoot camera with the Powershot G line and Powershot pro1. Point and shoot cameras (non-DSLR) that have most of the features of a DSLR.

I find most P&S cameras fustrating and limiting (except one). I shot with a G1 3mp camera for years.. as my knock around or when a DSLR just wasn't practical (packing wise). My recommendation for that budget would be:

Canon G5, G6, or Pro1 .. used...
With a used 420EX flash.

That should be in your budget if you shop. Any of those cameras will have most of the features you will find in an DSLR. Manual, Aperture, shutter priority, different metering modes, RAW, less shutter release lag and a REAL flash.

My G1 served me well until it got replaced by a used G5 early this year. No regrets....

btw.. why does it have to look like a DSLR?

I just noticed that you have a K1000 with a lens. Perhaps you can pull off a Pentax *ist and use the manual lens you already have.

Yeah I have a K1000 with a huge lens, What do you mean I can pull off a Pentax *ist?

what is an *ist?

I have used point and shoots for awhile and just recently purchased a DSLR. I dont have much experience with it yet but the photos taken with it are amazing. Maybe you can find a DSLR used that is close to your budget.

Some people in other forums are reporting that Circuit City has them on clearance (in store) for $199 and if you can find a $40 off $199 purchase it lowers the price even more. Meets all your requirements :) With the extra money you save buying this camera you could buy other needed accessories (like a tripod) and stay within your budget.

Good luck.

The *ist is a model... or actually a model range of digital SLRs from Pentax. I understand you should beable to use your lense with it, so you'd only have to buy the body.

Not owning a DSLR I was under the impression that the lenses were specifically designed for digital use. I was just looking at the *ist specs and sure enough k mount and KAF mounts can be used, but with restrictions (as well the screw mounts and 67/645 with the use of an adapter). I was just curious, does anyone know what those restrictions might be? Also what is special about the lenses specifically designed for DSLRs?

Also what is special about the lenses specifically designed for DSLRs?
I don't know about the Pentax issues...but typically, lenses specific to DSLRs have a smaller image circle that matches the size of the sensor in most DSLR cameras. Other lenses are designed to be used with 35mm film, which is bigger than the typical sensors. Also, they supposedly have anti-reflective coatings on the rear element of the lens, which can help eliminate the problem of light reflecting off of the sensor, to the lens and back to the sensor...causing a loss of contrast.

It was my understand that Pentax DSLRs are backwards compatible with K-mount lenses. hence why I suggested a Pentax DSLR to go with your K1000's lens.

Then save up money and purchase a lens specifically for your Pentax DSLR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back