I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My fiancé informed me the other day, in no uncertain terms, that she does not want me to have my camera with me on our wedding day. I can understand where she is coming from...but I think there may be some opportunities to get some great shots that will have a lot of personal meaning in the future. I was thinking of getting a wide angle lens and doing the old 'self portrait at arms length'. I used to do that quite a bit with my old p&s camera but it would be so much better with a wide angle lens.

Anyway...have any of you toted a camera around on your wedding day?

I'm not really sure that I need to answer this :lmao:

Hobbes and I are getting married in October and I can't imagine that we won't carry two cameras. We'll leave them to someone else during the actual ceremony, but once that is over I'm quite sure we'll be taking pictures of our own. I'm sure she's a little worried that you'll lose some of the focus of the day if you're taking photos, but I can't see that you will. If you're at all like me you'd be telling whoever the wedding photographer is what you want, and it's so much easier to do it yourself :mrgreen:

I said I would limit it to one roll of film...she said I could use one disposable camera. I have eight months to work on her though... :D

Looking back I couldn't imagine having the time to shoot any at mine. I really wasn't that devoted to the hobby 14 years ago though.

I fired up a Speed Graphic at my wedding. My brain wasn't functioning very well though. ;) I was metering off of black pants intending to set the camera to underexpose 2 stops from the reading. Instead I set it to over expose 2 stops, which because I was metering off black means I was somewhere around 4 stops overexposed. On the honeymoon I realized what I had done, and altered my development time to try and compensate. They came out printable. Here's one...

camera: Anniversary Speed Graphic w/ Schneider f/5.6 150mm
film: Tmax 100 (shot at ISO 6) in D-76 (stock)

michelleandmatt.jpg

:lol: Matt, I remember that story. Priceless!! You salvaged at least this one, so no major harm done.

Mike - I'm on your side here. I happen to think holding the cam out at arm's length for a couple of shots will be great fun. And several candids, of course. One roll is reasonable, though. She doesn't want you too sidetracked. ;)

I hope she agrees!! :D

I dunno... isn't that a bit like have a game on the TV during a romantic dinner at home? I think your wedding day is a time to give you complete attention to your spouse. My advise is wait for the honeymoon to get the camera out.

Good luck, and CONGRATULATIONS!!

Im getting married soon, and she said Ill be able to take some pictures after the ceremony of her. Her cousin is doing the pictures for us so it wont be hard to take some myself.

Big Mike, I totally agree with Christie photo in saying, enjoy your special day with the one you love and put the camera in the honeymoon luggage.

I have to say that as much as you would like to take photos you will struggle to find the time to do any productive piccy taking unless it's before the ceremony when you will either be too nervous or slightly pissed :). Even at the reception you'll find that there is always someone wanting to talk to you both and offer their congrats etc. I would assume that you were very picky on who was to be your official photo taker and that you have told them what you want from them. So trust them and enjoy the whole wedding experience (apart from that you're not getting paid to shoot the wedding) All the best for the big day mate!

Kent Frost said:
14 years ago, I was 11. :oops:

Ah well... some weren't..... Some around here could be up to 20 years your senior... I happen to know from personal experience... ;)

Most reactions

Back