Camera backpack recommendations

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need a backpack to house my canon 5d iv with battery grip, 100-400 ii, 70-200 iii, 600ex-rt ii, 1.4x Tele, 50mm, 24mm, 80d with battery grip, charger and I believe that's it... any suggestions?

great question ... now everybody can recommend his/her backpack :D .. okay, if you call for it .. I have military grade Tasmanian Tiger and I am almost happy with that ..

Nice back pack
I use the Tamrac as it’s sas/mas module system is compatible with uk armed forces modules kit on so I can mix and match

i haven't used a camera bag in years. i use the military grade 5.11 rush 24 and the 5.11 covrt as my dedicated camera bags. they're my favorite backpacks, complete with conceal carry spaces and heavier duty materials. i wrap all of my gear in lens wraps and throw it in whatever bag i want. my 5.11 rush 12 is my everyday work bag, it's about the size normal backpack. i can fit my wrapped sony a7riv and 200-600mm in it, take it to work thrown in with everything else in the bag and nobody is the wiser.

i prefer the military backpacks because they use the molle strap system so i can add additional bags (like a square filter bag or large lens pouch) or straps for a tripod with just a few snaps. but i've used lens wraps with other bags (the north face recon was my favorite hiking bag for awhile) and it works just as well.

I need a backpack to house my canon 5d iv with battery grip, 100-400 ii, 70-200 iii, 600ex-rt ii, 1.4x Tele, 50mm, 24mm, 80d with battery grip, charger and I believe that's it... any suggestions?

Is it your plan to hold all of that gear at once in the backpack?

Is it your plan to hold all of that gear at once in the backpack?
Yes, it's basically a go bag for me. My current bag houses it but has no room for anything else. And the strap is ripping.

I have a Lowe Pro that’s worked well for me many years. It’s seen many mountain bushwhacks and creek walks.

I have a Lowe Pro that’s worked well for me many years. It’s seen many mountain bushwhacks and creek walks.

I too have a Lowe Pro, the middle size, and it has been quite durable. But, I wonder if even the largest model will hold that much gear.

I strongly advise that you don't buy any backpack or bag until you try it (or something similar to it). So much about a good messenger bag or backpack is how it rides on your frame and fits you. And all the recommendations in the world don't answer that.

As for considerations, I have a Thinktank shoulder bag that holds two Nikon bodies, a 600mm zoom and 2 smaller zooms plus other stuff (like my MacBook). I deliberately got it to hold a Nikon D4 body and the 600mm zoom. It's incredibly comfortable and actually rides better than most of the backpacks I've had.

As for backpacks, my recommendation is to buy a day pack that you like and fits you well and then add a camera insert. There are a bunch of good inserts around, you can reconfigure them. The only negative about this approach is it likely won't work as a sling. OTOH, it won't have a camera bag name on it that says to thieves and pickpockets "thousands of dollars of expensive camera gear inside!"

Last edited:
Another vote for the Lowepro Pro tactic series. I have the 450 version and it fits my D750 with battery grip, a 70-200 plus 2-3 other FF lenses and a few accessories (there’s room for a longer than 70-200 lens as well if you have one). It also has the strap system on the exterior for pretty much unlimited attachments of other items you don’t mind being exposed. Built in packable rain fly is a nice touch too for hiking or traveling in sketchy weather. I’ve had mine for going on 2 years now and have put it through a few flights and several hikes in varied weather...i.e. it’s not been pampered, zero durability complaints so far.

I ordered the thinktank streetwalker hard drive v2.0. Fits everything perfect and very comfortable.

Give us an update on the kind of backpack you choose and why, please.
we already did ... there doesn't exist a definitive answer for such a question .. there are also tons of articles all over around the internet with titles like `top 10 camera backpacks in 2021' etc ...

Depends what you want to do with it. I've got a lowepro flipside 300. That fits my 5Dmkiv, Tamron 150-600mm, canon 135mm, 50mm, 16-35mm, numerous batteries, a full set of filters (ND, GND, sunset, etc), numerous accessories and tripod. But it's a pretty big and bulky bag, not great for long hikes, though I've done a few and once the waterproofs go in it's pretty full. But if you've got the space a 300 or 400 should take everything you need.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back