Camera Backpacks

zaroba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Next month I am going to Chincoteague VA for a week and of course, I am planning on taking my camera and equipment. I was topping off my supplies, cleaning everything and putting all the stuff in my backpack when suddenly I noticed it was a bit tight. Not much space in there for anything else and I have a new lens coming in the mail tomorrow.

Normally I don't take *everything* when I go to parks and lenses I don't often use sit on a shelf in my bedroom. But the week long trip will be spent taking day trips to hike around Assateague Island, including the beach and bay. There will be dust, salt, sand, and nature to contend with so filters and cleaning equipment to help keep lenses clean would be helpful, along with taking all my lenses for taking photos of landscape, horses, dolphins, wading birds, etc. So taking everything with me on the hikes might be good. Currently I have an Amazon Basics backpack and wouldn't mind getting a larger bag to use. As for how big, no real clue. The amazon bag feels small to me, I'm quite far from being a small scrawny guy and could easily handle a larger bag. Anybody have any good recommendations on large camera backpacks?

Alternatively, I could just be being paranoid and take my small shoulder bag to leave in the hotel with non-essential stuff in it. Like all the cleaning equipment, spare filters, and a lens or two, but then I might miss out on a good opportunity for a shot.

So, anybody have any thoughts?
Should I upgrade to a larger backpack or just use a 2nd bag?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
First of all, that sounds like an incredible trip.

Secondly, what kind of strap do you have? I find that my backpack with space for body+lens and two extra lenses (usually the 55-250 on the body, and then the 50 and the 18-55 in the bag) works perfectly, but it also has a top compartment that has room for snacks, water bottle, filters, remote, all the little things. Most of the time that I'm hiking I carry the body/lens on my sling strap under the backpack so that the pack is lighter and the camera has easy access, unless I'm scaling rocks or something, then I can put it away for safety. Carrying the camera on a good strap like a Black Rapid cargo strap or something would free up space in your pack.

Thirdly, are you REALLY going to need more than a long lens and a wide angle? Plus maybe one more? While you're out in the dust and the salt spray and everything, and you see a great shot, are you going to have or take the time to haul things out and switch lenses? When I'm hiking I generally stick to the long zoom and that is it, then if I have a really good reason I'll fuss with switching to the wide lens. Rarely does the 50mm come out unless I go indoors and need the bigger apertures.

I got this one: Amazon.com : Case Logic Kilowatt KSB-101 Medium Sling Backpack for Pro DSLR : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo

... in medium size and friggin love it. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. It's just a but bigger than the amazon basics bag, but it comes in a Large size as well that is quite large indeed.

There are 2 variations of the Large size:

Amazon.com : Case Logic KBP-101 Kilowatt Large Backpack for Pro DSLR and Laptop : Camera Cases : Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-Ki...1721&sr=1-2&keywords=caselogic+kilowatt+large

The second one (KSB-102) is newer and lighter.

In my medium bag I can fit:
D7000
70-300mm with hood
18-105mm with hood
SB-800
Medium sized tripod (outside holder)
2x Extra batteries
Extra cards
A large ND filter
Ring filter and filter adapter case
Weather hood
Small folding tripod (inside)
Battery charger
Remote shutter release
Lens/Body caps

And a couple other small things. Plenty enough for me!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It totally depends on your equipment.

I can now fit everything I need into my Lowepro DSLR video 150aw backpack and love it!

That trip sounds amazing and can't wait to see images when you return!

Oh also, Chincoteague isn't far off from me and I've made a few trips out there. It's an AWESOME place and you're going to love it. BUT bring a lot of bug spray!

Also, try to get out to Wallops AFB and check NASA's site for listings of rocket launches/tests while you are there. Really cool to see in person and it's less than 20 mins from Chincoteague.

I love my lowepro vertex 200aw. It fits all I need for landscapes. D800 gripped, 16-35, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 80-200 2.8, lee filters, strap, and a million accessories. It's and AWESOME backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, Msteelio91, I am well aware that Chincoteague thinks the mosquito should be the state bird :p
I've actually been there quite a few times, usually every few years, but the last time was in 2007 (when I was still using point and shoots) so am long over due. When I was little my mother and I would go down every year.

Those Kilowatt bags look freaking awesome.
But then, like Civchic says, would I need everything at all times? Likely not as I'm sure I'll be going on the trails more then once so could take different lenses each time for specific shots.
Definitely need the wide angle for landscape shots, could also take the long zoom for distance shots. The tripod and 1k mm telephoto (cheapo reflective mirror thing, don't be amazed by it, lol) wouldn't need to go with me more then once to take specific shots of things that wont ever be close enough for the regular zoom lenses.

Really still up in the air about this.

I've decided I'll just take a 2nd bag and keep some stuff at the hotel instead of getting a bigger bag and lugging everything with me each and every hike. Will just take different lenses each time for different pictures.

can't wait to see images when you return!
lol, might be a bit many to post, but I'll weed out some that I think are great.
I'll have 27GB worth of SD cards and a laptop with me so should have enough storage space :p

Most reactions

Back