Camera choice

lindahua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to buy a camera, which is easy to use, just like fool style. Moreover it can prevent hand trembling.

What brand, which size should i buy?

I want to buy a camera, which is easy to use, just like fool style. Moreover it can prevent hand trembling.

What brand, which size should i buy?

Most of the brands have cameras that have anti-vibration features or lenses that have anti-shake features. Now if you have hand trembling as I am thinking, the best thing is to keep the camera on a tripod. And use a remote release. As the anti-vibration is for small movements. As for the camera itself you may want to get something a little larger and heavier. As the weight will help dampen the movement some. And most of the bigger cameras will have more user dials and direct function buttons, instead of having to push alot of buttons and going through menu's to make changes. Even though they have more user controls, they also have more automatic functions. If you have trembling your not going to want to have to push many buttons to scroll through menu's to change something. Might get frustrating. Again I am just guessing at condition.

Now having said that, do you have a budget in mind? What types of use do you have in mind? Family snap shots? Pictures for when you travel?

And Welcome to TPF

Ben

Thanks for advice. I have $200 budget, and want to take photos when travelling.

Ah, for your budget you will be looking at Point and shoot cameras. Canon has a pretty good line up in your price range that have IS (image stabalization). The best thing to do though, is go to a store that sells several different ones. And see which ones feel good to you. I would stay away from the HP and basically computer maker type cameras. And stick to Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Samsung, Panasonic.

Deppending on how much hand movement you have (or if its for someone else). The smaller P&S cameras may not work out so well. So, it would be good to actually go and make sure you can test the camera before you buy. A real camera store will let you do this. Some department stores will as well, but the person at the counter may not know a thing about the camera and not be much help.

If you find one you think you like, you can always come back here and ask questions about it before buying it. Most likely someone here can give you some additional information on it.

You may want to consider looking at the Canon Powershot series, which gives you manual controls so you can practice and learn more about the relationship of aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. The Canon Powershot 590IS is a good option and falls within your budget.

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

With a $200 budget, I would head to your local electronics store and pick whatever Canon point and shoot compact camera that has IS (Image Stabilization)

I just purchased a Kodak Z1015. I have had it only for a few days but I am VERY happy with it. Purchased it from B&H photo for $209. Not only does it have the easy point and shoot features, but it also has some pretty decent manual adjustments to take some more interesting photos.

It will not ever be as good as an SLR, but it is what I could afford.

You can get a Fuji S1500 for $200 and it's got a 12x zoom and color so accurate, it blows pretty much anything, even most SLR's in that category out of the water.

Thank you all, i have bought the camera, the brand is Nikon.

I just purchased a Kodak Z1015...It will not ever be as good as an SLR, but it is what I could afford.

That camera is an SLR. ;)

Well strictly speaking the Kodak Z1015 is NOT a SLR. It does not use a combination of mirror and pentamirror or pentaprism to form an image in the viewfinder. Instead it uses an electronic viewfinder (EVF), which does not make it a SLR.

Thank you all, i have bought the camera, the brand is Nikon.

I also curious to know which brand.

From my readings, the Image Stabilization in the Nikons is usually a software based stabilization and not an optical based stabilization as they have in the Canons.

While some stabilization is better than none, the optical based is much better than the software based which itself is somewhat better than the digital based.

Optical uses a type of gyro sensor that reads your movement and adjusts accordingly. Things are fixed before you take the picture

Software minimizes blur after you take the picture, and it does something similar to a program in your computer that reduces blur.

Digital is a logical process that essentially increases your ISO above what the recommended camera settings are, which just ends up causing more noise and a crappier picture. ie - the camera is using a higher ISO that is usually needed to avoid camera blur.

I haven't heard much good about the newer Nikon P&S cameras, other than the P series models such as the P60, P80 and P6000. Granted, I haven't even touched one, but review after review of the L and S series models saying their old Canon PowerShot was better and complaining about the shutter lag and poor IQ doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back