Camera Confusion

I find this assessment unfounded, especially that most P&S cameras feel better made and are quicker than the D40.

How can you possibly find my opinion unfounded? Do you have my hands? Did you go to shop last monday and spend 6 hours handling 12 or 15 different dSLR cameras? Did you do the same thing on the previous friday and three weeks before?

Either way, you're giving the OP and anyone reading this looking for advice the wrong idea.

I don't think so!!! <obviously> :D
If Nikon is so cheap as to make a POS like that then let honest people say it out loud.

Sure, if you've used a higher-end dSLR or film SLR camera, the D40 won't feel as solid or quick,

You mean if the person actually has a reference to go by? Exactly one of my points.

but to say that it feels like it's going to fall apart and is slower than most P&S cameras...:confused:

I'll say it again! Of the 6 P&S cameras I picked up that day every single one of them had a higher build quality. Every one of them not only focused faster but could focus on the things I wanted to focus on. the d40 missed about 40% of the time. [EDIT: And when I say "missed 40%" I don't mean it could focus the 3rd or 4th time. I mean 40% of the subjects I chose it could not focus on at all - ever.] All but one of the P&Ss had better viewfinders! And although the P&S cameras mostly felt plasticy I didn't have the impression they were about to fall apart like I did with the d40. IMHO it's one of the crappiest dSLRs on the marker. If there is a crappier one I dunno what it is.

I think it's alright, though I haven't spent much time using other dSLRs.

Oh, I see. So, just kinda defending your camera then? Well I understand that. No one wants to admit being ripped off - that's natural.

It's certainly better than any of the viewfinders on any P&S cameras I've used. I realize the importance of the viewfinder on a dSLR (since there's no live view on the screen on most dSLRs) and if there truly is a lack of clarity with the viewfinder, that could be a problem (and could explain why I have trouble manually focusing), but no one else has mentioned this in what I've read, as far as I can recall.

Probably for the same reasons I just mentioned. I've written lots of reviews though mostly for computer software and hardware and they cannot be honest. They're not allowed to. Few are skillful enough to write well enough that we could even read between the lines. So as I wrote originally don't expect to read any honest upside/downside reviews on products from manufacturers that pay for ad space anywhere in those respective publications - paperless or paper based.

Last edited:
How can you possibly find my opinion unfounded? Do you have my hands? Did you go to shop last monday and spend 6 hours handling 12 or 15 different dSLR cameras? Did you do the same thing on the previous friday and three weeks before?

I don't think so!!! <obviously> :D
If Nikon is so cheap as to make a POS like that then let honest people say it out loud.

You mean if the person actually has a reference to go by? Exactly one of my points.

I'll say it again! Of the 6 P&S cameras I picked up that day every single one of them had a higher build quality. Every one of them not only focused faster but could focus on the things I wanted to focus on. the d40 missed about 40% of the time. [EDIT: And when I say "missed 40%" I don't mean it could focus the 3rd or 4th time. I mean 40% of the subjects I chose it could not focus on at all - ever.] All but one of the P&Ss had better viewfinders! And although the P&S cameras mostly felt plasticy I didn't have the impression they were about to fall apart like I did with the d40. IMHO it's one of the crappiest dSLRs on the marker. If there is a crappier one I dunno what it is.

Oh, I see. So, just kinda defending your camera then? Well I understand that. No one wants to admit being ripped off - that's natural.

Probably for the same reasons I just mentioned. I've written lots of reviews though mostly for computer software and hardware and they cannot be honest. They're not allowed to. Few are skillful enough to write well enough that we could even read between the lines. So as I wrote originally don't expect to read any honest upside/downside reviews on products from manufacturers that pay for ad space anywhere in those respective publications - paperless or paper based.

I think having your own view is fine - i appreciate your thoughts on the camera however you seem to just be putting it down for no reason other then to force other people to think the same way you do. (not being horrible). However, all the people I have spoken to, all the reviews I have read, all the examples I have ever seen (ive done a lot of research onthis) no one has ever been as negative about the camera like you are being.

I personally think that it comes down to the individual and if you do like it then fair enough but doesnt mean your view is correct and I think other peoples views on the d40 shouldnt be dismissed just because you dont agree - as i say i do appreciate your contributions to this thread.

I just cant see how all these people say, for the price, it is a good first time, well built, quality camera and this all to be wrong - maybe its different in japan! :)

Well whateva camera I am buying im getting it tomorrow so..i gotta make up my mind!

I think it comes down to, why you want to get the camera? Do you want to use it to take good pictures? (assuming you are able to :) ) Will the D40 take good photos? From what I seen. Yes.

Do you like the way it feel? I kind of think your answer is yes as well.

Do you think your heart will beat faster right after you buy the camera? If you think the answer is yes .... then .. you know what to do.

If you knows all the pros and cons on a camera and the pros outweighs the cons, then do it :) Since you had a Canon before, you may think in some area, the Canon is better, but on the other hand, D40 is better in some other area. So, just get the camera and enjoy it.

I think having your own view is fine - i appreciate your thoughts on the camera however you seem to just be putting it down for no reason other then to force other people to think the same way you do. (not being horrible).

No, I don't care to convince anyone of anything. I was asked. Read up.

I personally think that it comes down to the individual and if you do like it then fair enough but doesnt mean your view is correct and I think other peoples views on the d40 shouldnt be dismissed just because you dont agree - as i say i do appreciate your contributions to this thread.

I just cant see how all these people say, for the price, it is a good first time, well built, quality camera and this all to be wrong - maybe its different in japan! :)

No it's the same in Japan as there. I think the differences in satisfaction come from reference and experience. If all you ever used was a thin plastic camera with no view finder at all then when you use one made of thicker plastic that has a viewfinder then you're going to have a better opinion of it. "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Well whateva camera I am buying im getting it tomorrow so..i gotta make up my mind!

I was looking for a picture of zoom lenses for another thread and found this link. It's relative here I think:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/olympus/evolt/e410/olympus_e-410.html

Last edited:

First off, I'm a huge non-fan of the D40. That said, I think you aren't giving all the facts. Sure the build quality of the D40/D40x isn't great, but it beats the living crap out of the cheap plasticky build quality of the Rebel XT/XTI.

Autofocus? No offense, but it's obvious that you just aren't using the camera well. Put it on a single AF point and put that point on the focus subject and it will AF correctly 100% of the time.

As far as build quality goes, the crappier camera that you seek is the Rebel XT. As far as picture quality, it's completely on par with the Rebel XT and due to the better kit lens, it's actually much better than the Rebel Kit. Maybe there was some settings off on the camera you were using. The settings you use will play a big difference in the quality. Further, comparing pictures on a 2.5" LCD is hardly a decent photo comparison.

The ONLY functional disadvantage to the D40 in my opinion is the lacking AF motor.

Disclaimer: I owned a D40 for 2 months (didn't just look at one in a store without figuring out how to use it) and it is an excellent camera. It just fails to let you use some of the cheaper yet excellent quality primes which is the sole reason I sold it.

Last edited:
Well you mentioned the E510 in the OP and you also asked me what other dSLRs were out there for the same price. When you asked that last part I made a list of 12 different dSLRs that sell for close to the same or less than the d40 but then I thought to myself... Nya, he can do the same thing it's all available on-line. ;)

Well you mentioned the E510 in the OP and you also asked me what other dSLRs were out there for the same price. When you asked that last part I made a list of 12 different dSLRs that sell for close to the same or less than the d40 but then I thought to myself... Nya, he can do the same thing it's all available on-line. ;)

Its 'she' not 'he' ;) and I have gone on many websites looking and researching. Im just going to have to bite the bullet and buy one!

Not sure if you have already gotten a camera, but I have the D40 and it is a GREAT camera!!!! I hear alot about the disadvantage of having to use AF-S lenses, but most of the GOOD lenses have AF-S anyway. Just the cheap ones don't. I never saw that as a problem other than not being able to have the Nikon 'nifty-fifty'....but not a huge problem.

Anyway, for the money, I think that the D40 is a fabulous entry-level D-SLR!!!!

BTW, I am selling my D40 kit in BST if interested ;) Just because it is a backup to my D40x and I am wanting a D300!!!

Most reactions

Back