Camera Decision For A Neophite

EAlanJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
Please help me with a decision. I am a long time 35mm photographer and finally ready to make the jump to digital. As a Canon Elan EOS user I was drawn to the Canon PowerShot S2 IS. Then someone suggestion I look at the Kodak P850. 1) Anyone have experience with both or some recommendations for me on either of these of something similar. 2) What should I get for additional memory card(s) and batteries? I have a house full of albums of color prints and my wife says no more. So I will want to store my photos on CD's and play them on the TV. 3) What additional equipment will I need? I love to photograph family but also scenics & nature when we travel (Rockies this fall).
Many thanks for any and all help.
Alan

Just curious... If you are a long time 35mm Film SLR user, why not consider a digital rebel or 20D? The feel of a DSLR will be similar to your 35mm and your lenses will be compatible with a Canon DSLR. If compactness is a concern, the digital rebel is smaller and lighter than both the original Elan and the Elan II.

The only bit of advice on digital cameras (I still use 35mm and medium format) is that you should buy a camera from a company that only does camera gear, like Kodak, Pentax, Cannon, etc and to stay away from brands that do other stuff like HP, and Sony. That might be completly false, too. It's just what I heard once.

nealjpage said:
The only bit of advice on digital cameras (I still use 35mm and medium format) is that you should buy a camera from a company that only does camera gear, like Kodak, Pentax, Cannon, etc and to stay away from brands that do other stuff like HP, and Sony. That might be completly false, too. It's just what I heard once.
That's certainly the view I normally take, not just with cameras, whether it's an informed opinion is open to questioning. I would have thought many people consider Sony to be a cut above the rest though? I wouldn't consider anything from HP or the rest, but a Sony would do me nicely I think.

EAlanJ said:
Hi,
Please help me with a decision. I am a long time 35mm photographer and finally ready to make the jump to digital. As a Canon Elan EOS user I was drawn to the Canon PowerShot S2 IS. Then someone suggestion I look at the Kodak P850. 1) Anyone have experience with both or some recommendations for me on either of these of something similar. 2) What should I get for additional memory card(s) and batteries? I have a house full of albums of color prints and my wife says no more. So I will want to store my photos on CD's and play them on the TV. 3) What additional equipment will I need? I love to photograph family but also scenics & nature when we travel (Rockies this fall).
Many thanks for any and all help.
Alan

i think a DSLR should help you out tons.:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back