"Camera..Extension of the Soul the 'Id'"

benjikan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It has been a long time since I was aware of the fact that I am actually holding a device between myself and the subject I am shooting. I think the device is called a camera or a digital capturing device. I can't really recall. When that phenomena happened in my life is hard to define. I really am not aware of this device when I am in the process of capturing my image. In fact I often forget that I am actually holding anything in my hand. I become aware of this "appendage" when I think I have captured what I feel is "That Moment". If I don't feel I have captured the essence of the moment, the vehicle remains glued to my hand and remains the interpreter of the subject's and my soul until "That Moment" happens. Perhaps it happened in the same way as when I realized that I don't need a flash meter. I can feel the blast of light and based on the blast, I only have to choose from a very finite and small group of numbers to set on my device. I am usually on within a 1/3rd of a stop. One day, I will just blink my eye and the image will appear on a three dimensional projection in space. It will be transcribed to a crystal storage device that will be used to produce a hard copy, if need be. I guess after pressing the shutter a couple of million times in my 27 years of capturing images, it has become an extension of my "Id".

Ben

Whenever I take portraits with one of my medium format cameras with a waist level finder it reminds me that most of the time I do have a camera between my face, and the subject. The reaction of the subject is markedly different when I'm staring into their eyes with both of mine, the camera is forgotten by my waist (with a next to silent shutter relesa for the Rollei), than when I'm peering through a camera aiming at them like a scope on a rifle. I want a DSLR with a pop-out, adjustable LCD, like the early Nikon Cool Pix digi-cams.

A camera is just a tool. If you are thinking about it when you are using it then you are not concentrating on what you are taking.
Do you think about the pen when you are writing something down?
Same deal ;)

Do you think about the pen when you are writing something down?
Same deal ;)

no, because the pen is more a disposable item! ;)

I think, the camera can become part of your identity, your personality... more so since it changes the way you look at things.

And that all does not mean you actively think about the camera while you are working with it. but you might think about it later, after the work is done and you reflect.

I think, the camera can become part of your identity, your personality... more so since it changes the way you look at things.

And that all does not mean you actively think about the camera while you are working with it. but you might think about it later, after the work is done and you reflect.

Hello Alex;

I just had a look at your site...Some wonderful documentation. I particularly love the images of Egypt. I have visited Egypt on two occasions and it never ceases to amaze me. From Aswan to Luxor to Cairo, the Architecture is "Supernatural" and inconcievable even by today's engineering standards. But I won't even go there. As one who studied Architecture, I wouldn't want to ruffle anyones feathers. Let's just say that the"Giza" pyramid is an enigma...The precision has yet to be equalled.

Hello Alex;

I just had a look at your site...Some wonderful documentation. I particularly love the images of Egypt. I have visited Egypt on two occasions and it never ceases to amaze me. From Aswan to Luxor to Cairo, the Architecture is "Supernatural" and inconcievable even by today's engineering standards. But I won't even go there. As one who studied Architecture, I wouldn't want to ruffle anyones feathers. Let's just say that the"Giza" pyramid is an enigma...The precision has yet to be equalled.

Well, not all the photography there is the best I can do, and it is certainly not my artsy stuff. But it is more, as you said, travel documentation.

Would love to go back to Egypt concentrating on photography... since the time I took those photos I only had a couple of days time and could not wait for ideal light or ideal weather in most cases ...

not if it's a Mont Blanc... ;)

But depending on the work, certain tools helps. A war photographer would be more comfy with a small outfit than a view camera. At the end of the day, the equipment and the post processing software/darkroom becomes mere conduits to convey the message.

I don't think about the camera or the medium when I see this shot (warning: graphic!).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back