Camera Flash On Video

j.weegee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay so this may have more to do with video production than photography, but I figure I can at least find some answers here. I was filming video with my T3i and I was using my old speedlite on my Canon AE-1 to give the impression of a press conference with all the flashing of cameras from journalists. I noticed when I played back the video that the flash literally lit up only half the shot. The light from the flash was horizontally cut off. Does this have to due with the camera sensor when in video mode? Is this problem limited to this model camera or do all film making cameras digital and film alike have this problem with photography flash units? If so do they use different lights such as strobe lights to get a similar effect? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

-J.Weegee

j.weegee said:
Okay so this may have more to do with video production than photography, but I figure I can at least find some answers here. I was filming video with my T3i and I was using my old speedlite on my Canon AE-1 to give the impression of a press conference with all the flashing of cameras from journalists. I noticed when I played back the video that the flash literally lit up only half the shot. The light from the flash was horizontally cut off. Does this have to due with the camera sensor when in video mode? Is this problem limited to this model camera or do all film making cameras digital and film alike have this problem with photography flash units? If so do they use different lights such as strobe lights to get a similar effect? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

-J.Weegee

My guess is..... The shutter is still opening and closing when shooting video. I believe the effect you see is because the shutter speed is not synced for the flash. It is too fast, try to video in manual mode and set the shutter at 1/125 (or what ever your flash sync speed is)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back