Camera flash with full ettl ability needed.

Jakefreese

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I have been looking at at difffernt flashes, I could really use one full auto flash

I have looked at the two canon speedlights the 430 and 580. I am hesitant on those two since they have known problems with pocketwizards, PW has a fix for it but it is an additional $60 I was hoping Canon would make some changes to the flash instead of having to pay extra for it.

The Nissan Di866 is on the short list

I thought about the sunpack pz42x it is less expensive and less powerful. I looked at the Metz, but it seems like alot of people have complained about durability on them.

The Sigma EF530 DG was another one...

Any recommendations ? I am really thinking about ordering a sunpack tomorrow.

This is for the Canon 40D mostly

Thanks!!

The more you rely on auto this and auto that, the less consistant your results will be because the camera doesn't know why or what you are making an image of.
Plus, the less artistry you can bring to your photography.

It is actually easier to learn how to do manual mode off camera flash, than it is to learn how to do TTL off camera flash.

Ok well in that case I guess I will just get a lumopro160 and learn how to use it !
Thanks!

The LP160 is a decent flash, but kind of overpriced for what it does.

The Strobist web site recommends it because it's what the retailer he has a business relationship carries (MPEX). They used to recommend the LP120 but it was discontinued, so now they recommend the more expensive LP160 that replaced it.

For $90 you can get Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash or for $130 Vivitar DF383 Digital TTL Shoe Mount Power Zoom /Swivel /Bounce Auto-Focus Flash for Nikon TTL, Guide Number 45m (147')

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The more you rely on auto this and auto that, the less consistant your results will be because the camera doesn't know why or what you are making an image of.
That's a loaded statement that knits together a couple of facts but then manufactures an inaccurate conclusion, IMHO. WE photographers need to be in control, not our equipment, no matter WHAT the equipment is. Just because today's cameras and flashes offer a lot of bells and whistles and automated conveniences doesn't mean they have the ability to automatically shut off our brains and let them do the thinking for us.

Plus, the less artistry you can bring to your photography.
What a bunch of fiddle-faddle. :lol: That one's just pure bull.

It is actually easier to learn how to do manual mode off camera flash, than it is to learn how to do TTL off camera flash.
Nothing is easier to learn than aiming a flash at something, letting it communicate with the camera, and having it automatically produce lighting that pops to the correct exposure value 99% of the time. And when "correct" exposure value isn't what you want, guess what? You can take control - FULL control - in order to alter it to your whims and fancies and imagination.

You can control the ETTL with +/- EV, which is just as easy to do on a ETTL flash as it is on a camera. If that's not easy enough, consider the fact that it can even be done FROM the camera, on MULTIPLE flashes, without visiting each one on the set to dial them in one by one, taking a shot, then making the rounds for another adjustment, then repeating again and again until satisfied.

But if that's all just TOO EASY and you want to work old school, you CAN switch them to MANUAL and fiddle with them to your heart's content.

You know what's really cool? Having the CHOICE. THAT's what REALLY allows one to be creative.

the Canon 580 EX II has the capability to go manual and is a great flash. I have the 430 EX, 430 EX II and the 580 EX II they all preform great and I can use the 580 as a master for the other 2 when needed.

Most reactions

Back