Camera for Beginner

stc9357

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
s84.photobucket.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a begineer who wanted to start out with a begineer camera.

I have three I'm interested in and was wondering what I should get:

Canon EOS rebel k2

Canon EOS rebel t2

Nikon N55

Nikon N75

Also I'm a senior in my final year of hs so money is an issue I'm not looking to spend more than 250$ for a camera i want to get into phtography and I figured these would be good cameras to start with.

Please suggest some good camera sites. I can get the rebel k2 at my local circuit city for 200$ and also the nikon N55 I think. They both come with lenses but in the future when I get more money plan to upgrade on those.

I'd strongly recommend considering a second-hand higher end model and saving some money.

Quite often the entry level 35mm cameras which come in a kit with a lens aren't that great a specification (either lens or body).

Also, it is worth considering whether you wish to "buy-in" to a system which will be compatible with digital cameras in the future. If this is the case, then there are some other options for you to consider.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Dear stc9357,

I own a Nikon F75 (same model as N75 but F is the European letter) with a Nikon AF 28-100mm G lens. I bought it as a combo offer at the rate of Euro 280,00 from a local store on Crete.
It is a very nice and reliable camera, very easy to use & help you understand the many different techniques of photography. It has about 6 or 7 different programs to take photos but also lets you handle all functions manualy if you feel like it. The AF is quick and accurate, so there you have it. I believe that it is a magnificent camera for it's maney, that will serve you well for quite a lot of years (if you are into film cameras).
On the other hand keep in mind that if you like taking picture ALOT, it may not seem at first, but buing a digital camera (a Nikon D50) may prove to be chaper that a film camera, since buying & developing films will match the difference really fast. I hope i did not confuse you even more :wink:

I know buying a digital may be cheaper in the long run but I simply do not have the dough to buy a ok digital camera start up. A digital camera would cost me about 500$ and the fact that I don't have a job right now should have never quit my job.

I got the Canon Rebel K2 alittle bit before summer started and I have been very happy with it. It was my first real camera as well and I have really learned a lot from it. There are some pre set modes so you could use it like a point and shoot if you really wish too but there are also seveal manual modes which are really good. I have learned a lot with this camera. The kit lens is good enough for starting out. I think the main thing is to just have somehting that will take pictures. They don't have to be amazingly perfect clear crisp as a billboard ad just yet, you are only learning.

To sum it up I have been happy with the K2. I can't say anything else about the others because I haven't used them, but I can't imagine the extra $50 you spend for the T2 would give you a much better camera. Save that money use it on lenses, and eventually if you want you can get a digital Canon and use the same lenses.

from what i've read, the K2 and T2 offerings from Canon are excellent beginner cameras, however, is money is that tight and as someone here already suggested, try considering a slightly used model. keep in mind, i am a beginner too and have mostly looked at Canon models because that it what my mom has used. based on what i've read, here are some models to look at that shouldn't break the bank but will still give you all or most of the manual functions you'll need to learn on...

Canon EOS Rebel XS <--- my first camera
Canon AE-1 Program
Canon FTb
Canon EOS Rebel 2000

I have found a slightly used canon rebel k2 that somebody is going to sell me for 100$ with the lens included. I think this is what I'm going to go with and I'll get a better lens later on.

I would recommend you go with a screwmount camera if you're planning to shoot film.

Get a manual focus body with a big viewfinder - not the crappy modern canon.

Pentax K1000
Canon A1
Canon F1
Nikon F

No matter what camera you end up with, always remember that the important thing is lighting and composition. The camera is a tool to record what you envision. It's what you want to say with your pictures that's important.

I have a Pentax K1000 and it is a good camera.It doesn't offer the fastest shutter speeds (1/1000), but it does the job.

I have too many cameras but lately I've been enjoying the manual film guys -- a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super BC and a Canon FTb. Got the Zeiss at a camera repair shop for $50.00, fully working, beautiful results; the Canon at a thrift store for $14.99 including the 28mm, 1:1.9 Soligor lens, meter still working. Both are super-easy to use, and neither will break the bank. The FT is a classic workhorse that still has a loyal following. The Zeiss is compact, easy to handle and its brass and steel construction is heavy enough to handhold it at a shutter speed of 1/15. Look around, you can indeed find amazing things, though finding the Canon at the thrift store was a bit of a fluke -- usually the stuff there is low-end (Argus C-3s multiply in the glass case like tribbles) and generally not working -- caveat emptor! I say don't get too involved with the camera fetish, get one good, reliable working manual film camera -- rangefinder or SLR is equally good -- and spend the money you save on the film you'll be shooting.

The camera that I have decided to purchase is the canon k2 I'm getting a good deal on one slightly used less than a week old for 90$ bucks so i going to take it.

I started out with a Rebel and it was great for a beginner. It had just enough bells and whistles but was not too confusing to operate. Good luck in your purchase.

I own both a Canon K2 and a Pentax K1000. They are both great cameras for the price, easy to use and sturdy. I've dropped and bumped them and they haven't been trashed yet. (You can probably kill the guy who tries to take away your K1000 with it)

You can pick up a K1000 with a great 50mm Manual lens dirt cheap if you look around. It's my favorite camera, even if the K2 has automatic modes that make things easier, mostly because of the glass.

Until I got the Canon F1.8 50mm the K2 gave me a run for it's money. If you can pick up the K2 body for $100, you still have money to get that glass. It's really worth it.

Good luck with your purchase!

saulmr said:
I own both a Canon K2 and a Pentax K1000. They are both great cameras for the price, easy to use and sturdy. I've dropped and bumped them and they haven't been trashed yet. (You can probably kill the guy who tries to take away your K1000 with it)

You can pick up a K1000 with a great 50mm Manual lens dirt cheap if you look around. It's my favorite camera, even if the K2 has automatic modes that make things easier, mostly because of the glass.

Until I got the Canon F1.8 50mm the K2 gave me a run for it's money. If you can pick up the K2 body for $100, you still have money to get that glass. It's really worth it.

Good luck with your purchase!

I got the the whole kit with camera and lens included along with the strap for 90$ so you can't beat that. I have heard good things about Canon F1.8 50 mm lens. Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back