Camera for College Class

Chimily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I signed up for my first photography class and was told to get a "DSLR camera with RAW capabilities that can also work with jpegs." The email also said that we will be using manual functions in the class so that we can learn about ISO, shutter speed and aperture.

I am totally new to photography and need help finding a camera that meets these requirements. Any suggestions? I am looking for the cheapest thing that will get the job done. Thanks in advance!

the cheapest thing is to get a decent camera instead of having to upgrade a month later.
D3300 with 35mm f/1.8

Find an entry level kit such as the Nikon D3300 or Canon's equivalent. Sorry I don't know Canon's line up so Im not sure exactly what it is.

If you want something used, Nikon D80 or Nikon D300 are both excellent.

I bought a used Nikon D200 off Craigs list for $200 from a person that had used it for a camera course. This is an excellent model for using all manual controls and learning photography in a classroom environment. There are no "scene modes", no video or other stuff to get in the way.

A used camera is by far the cheapest option and often get some extras thrown in. Mine came with the battery grip with two batteries, charger and a memory card and that was almost five years ago. It did not have a lens, in your case there are plenty of lenses under $200.

If you picked up one kit zoom lens and one prime lens it would help (the kit lens for the D200 was the 18-70mm f/3.5-f/4.5, but you could just as well use an 18-55mm f/3.5-f/5.6).

You will probably go over different focal lengths during the class (where the zoom will help) as well as using large apertures (where a fast prime lens will help, such as the inexpensive 35mm f/1.8G lens).

A quick check on eBay shows a D200 with the 18-70 lens for $220 (with battery and CF memory card) and another D200 without lens for $150.

Hello,

I signed up for my first photography class and was told to get a "DSLR camera with RAW capabilities that can also work with jpegs." The email also said that we will be using manual functions in the class so that we can learn about ISO, shutter speed and aperture.

I am totally new to photography and need help finding a camera that meets these requirements. Any suggestions? I am looking for the cheapest thing that will get the job done. Thanks in advance!

Probably a Canon or Nikon with kit lens should work - Canon 600D, T6i, etc.

You can find used Nikon D3100 and D5100's with kit lens for not much . Also the D7100 which has better manual adjustment controls than the D5100. All of these models have been updated 2 or 3 times so these models are inexpensive but still very functional.

You could try Used Camera Equipment | Buy and Sell on KEH Camera for used cameras.

If you're new to photography I think ebay can be iffy - an item could be listed as good according to the seller's opinion but there don't seem to be any guidelines for condition. Probably better to buy from a reputable seller. Then too if the camera didn't work for you there would be an option to return or later to sell/trade in to get something else if need be.

If you want new then in my eyes the Nikon D3300 is the best value for money, it will do all that you need and more all for a very reasonable price.
Still if you want dirt cheap then you will need to go used.
Use Nikon D5100 or D3200 will be the only cameras I could recommend that are still very good, lower then that you are looking at older technology with old sensors.

Its been said but ill say it again

New: Nikon D3300 with the kit lens, or with the 35mm f1.8 prime.
Used: Any of the previous generation Nikons D3200, 5100 etc...

Or the cannon equivalent (Im a nikon guy I don't really know their offerings but I know they have similar stuff)

And of course the most important accessory...

Regards
Dave

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Find an entry level kit such as the Nikon D3300 or Canon's equivalent. Sorry I don't know Canon's line up so Im not sure exactly what it is.

If you want something used, Nikon D80 or Nikon D300 are both excellent.

The Canon equivalent would be the Rebel T5.

Personally I would look for used DSLR on Ebay or Amazon. There are all kinds of them with low shutter counts that were bought by amateurs and barely used. Most of them look and work like new. Find one with kit zoom lens and you will be good to go. Any DSLR will capture raw images and any will provide for manual exposure adjustment.

Guys, I don't think he's coming back....

:(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back