Camera in Checked Baggage?!?!?

RalphP13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Normally when I travel, my camera and lenses go in a pelican case and are taken as a carry-on.​

I was just wondering does anyone pack their camera and lenses in their checked baggage? After all, if you think about it, I'm sure these items did not see perfect treatment on their journey in trucks and planes from the factory to our front door.​

I'm taking a trip next month and only plan on bringing my camera and maybe two lenses. It would be nice to have one less thing to worry about as a carry-on. I was considering putting the camera and lenses into a camera bag surrounded by clothes in my checked bag.​

I was wondering if anybody has any thoughts on the issue.​

Thanks, Ralph

Negative. Too many chances to loose or break. Travel in-country or abroad? I carried all my equipment in 2 backpacks overseas, never left my line of sight ;)

Never in a million years. I'd write that in caps for emphasis but that's rude. Never, just plain old Never. Not with a camera, not with an iPod, a computer, an iPad or a diamond ring. Nope not ever, Never.

I always take mine on-board with me.

Although I used to work the Ramp so I've got a rather pessimistic insight into how baggage gets handled. lol

But I've packed glass valuables in my checked baggage done the way you describe and they always arrive intact. So you should be alright. Just make sure it's not too close to the edge of your suitcase. All it takes is your bag to fall off the baggage cart onto the ramp to smack it nicely.

I've never travelled by plane with my camera but I can also agree with everyone else. No. I just imagine how poorly suitcases are treated. Plus, I like the piece of mind knowing my equipment I worked hard to buy is safe and next to me. Anything that happens at that point is my own fault.

You guys are pretty much expressing many of the feelings and concerns I had as well.

I figured I would throw it out there to see if somebody would respond with "Yes, I've been traveling that way for the last 10 years without a problem".

You never know unless you ask.

I guess my problem is I love my electronic gadgets and my carry-on keeps getting larger and heavier. :biggrin:

Thanks, Ralph

No way! Last trip I took my bags look like they got dropped out of the plane, I wouldnt trust leaving my gear in my checked bags.

I never check in electronics, and not because of how they handle the luggage but because my equipment might get lost or stolen.

Never in a million years. I'd write that in caps for emphasis but that's rude. Never, just plain old Never. Not with a camera, not with an iPod, a computer, an iPad or a diamond ring. Nope not ever, Never.
You're right it would be tantamount to shouting, but you can always use bold, italics, and underline:

Never in a million years. Never, just plain old Never. Not with a camera, not with an iPod, a computer, an iPad or a diamond ring. Nope not ever, Never.

In addition to the issues with breakage, the airlines have lost my baggage more than once. Additionally, most baggage pickup areas are not secure so someone could walk with your bag (this DOES happen). Even though he might not know there is a camera in there, he could get lucky. The airlines have VERY limited liability for lost/stolen/damaged baggage. I would never consider checking my camera until/unless this changes. You would think, with the new outrageous fees for checked baggage, that these limitations would change, but I've heard nothing to that effect.

You can always ship things to your destination with a carrier like UPS or FedEx, insurance and everything. Will cost less than baggage fees in all likelihood. It's not unheard of for travelers to do that with extra luggage. Most good hotels know the deal. Ship it in advance, and it'll be in your room when you arrive (if it's a good hotel).

IF something happens to your camera with the check in luggage their insurance will not cover the loss, including it getting stolen.

Then of course there are all the other reasons, given above.

I guess my problem is I love my electronic gadgets and my carry-on keeps getting larger and heavier. :biggrin:

Thanks, Ralph

There's another advantage to keeping your electronics with you in your carry-on(s)...no weight limit. Since most airlines are charging significantly for overweight checked bags (and some just flat out don't let the bag go), I suck it up and carry the heavy stuff by hand.

(And for the record, add me to the list of those - weight considerations aside - who are cautious/paranoid enough not to check cameras or electronics. Too much chance for accidental damage or pilfering.)

There's another advantage to keeping your electronics with you in your carry-on(s)...no weight limit. Since most airlines are charging significantly for overweight checked bags (and some just flat out don't let the bag go), I suck it up and carry the heavy stuff by hand.

There actually is weight limits for carry-on baggage. For example, with Air Canada you are allowed one Carry-on Item and one "Personal Item". Both are allowed a maximum of 22lb.

Everything in Aviation is weight limited. Nothing is unlimited in that regard.

Most reactions

Back