Camera in extreme heat.

Fiendish Astronaut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I might be off to Burkina Faso in Western Africa for a couple of weeks to visit a good friend who runs an AIDS charity project there. (They coach kids to play football - some of you call it soccer.)

Anyway, if I go in March it will be 40 degrees - in the shade! Apart from protecting my own well being what steps should I take to protect my DSLR?

EDIT: here's a nod to Garbz's thread about extreme cold that reminded me to ask this!: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/154153-camera-extreme-cold-result.html

I don't think 40 celcius would be too much off a problem. Certainly 100deg F is common in places in the US and cameras are used all the time.

BUT it's likely to be dusty so if your camera isn't weathersealed you might have to be carefull about the dust. I'd say the biggest risk there would be when changing lenses as your exposing the inside to dust ingress. Also make sure your using the lens cap all the time you can ( again to protect from dust/grit. )

In Brisbane where I live the temperature hits 40 every summer. I can't say that I ever have had a problem with my camera in the heat, even when leaving it in the car where I am sure the temps get to 60+.

If you are worried then keep it out of direct sunlight, but definitely 40 in the shade won't worry your camera at all. Oh and post your experience afterwards including all the gritty details of how much you sweat.

Ooh, heat is fun. Burkina Faso has a very low average humidity, doesn't it? So dust will be your number one concern. When I was in Malaysia, it was the 96% humidity that was a pain for me. I would step out of the hotel in the mornings and my cold camera would instantly turn soaking wet with moisture inside and out. (That was my Minolta Dimage A2, which is really old now, but it still works awesomely, despite all that abuse!)

When I was in Kenya my camera was fine after 3 weeks and a safari day with the sun beating down, so you should be fine. But watch out for dust. Have fun!

I shoot through most of the summer here, 120+ degrees isn't an issue for my camera mechanically or electronically. As others have said, dust is the main concern, but unless there's a stiff wind I haven't had many issues there, either. I usually carry a small Samigon bag to change lenses in, but I hardly ever use it - I just get in the car, or in a canyon, or behind a boulder... ;)

Heat or cold, guidelines are in the manuals for operating temps, does no-one read their manuals when buying a new camera. Regardless of my knowledge of nikon cameras I go through these books on each new purchase if only to see if there's something new I hadn't already seen online. H

Heat or cold, guidelines are in the manuals for operating temps, does no-one read their manuals when buying a new camera. Regardless of my knowledge of nikon cameras I go through these books on each new purchase if only to see if there's something new I hadn't already seen online. H

Fair point but there's nothing like human experience to beat a technical manual. Plus, y'know, I like to reach out. Human conversation and all that?

Cheers for all replies. I'm thinking maybe November would be less hot... I've heard about sand stroms there. My Dad drove through a bid sandstorm once and it sanded all the paint away from his vehicle!

Most reactions

Back