Camera Invention: Attachment for Camera Flash to take shadow-free Macro photos

That is what my initial thinking. The light source need to be diffused some how.

Pros:
- It is small enough to put inside the camera bag.
- It is flexible (light source can be move around)
- It use build-in camera flash. No need to buy a external flash (save money)

Cons:
- Since it use the build-in flash, so it drain the camera battery. Personally, I prefer using a external flash.
- Light source is too small, therefore light is too harsh and may create hot spots in the photo especially for macro shots.

That is what my initial thinking. The light source need to be diffused some how.

Pros:
- It is small enough to put inside the camera bag.
- It is flexible (light source can be move around)
- It use build-in camera flash. No need to buy a external flash (save money)

Cons:
- Since it use the build-in flash, so it drain the camera battery. Personally, I prefer using a external flash.
- Light source is too small, therefore light is too harsh and may create hot spots in the photo especially for macro shots.

Another con is that you can not independently control each lights power output. I don't think the battery issue would matter as I'm guessing the type of fiber optic lighting or whatever uses very little power. I personally would like to not have to monitor two sets of batteries (flash and camera).

I think the lightsource size is the biggie and another I just thought of...I shoot manual mode with my flash a lot for macro....how would you do that with this setup?

I don't think the battery issue would matter as I'm guessing the type of fiber optic lighting or whatever uses very little power. I personally would like to not have to monitor two sets of batteries (flash and camera).

NateS, to further clarify, it is my understanding that the light source is the pop-up flash on the camera. The optical fibers transmit the light generated by the pop-up so that it can be aimed at subjects near the front of the lens.

Watch the video again and you can see that he opens the pop-up before mounting the device. I am guessing that the hot shoe attachment is merely mechanical (no electrical contact), to hold the unit near the pop-up. When he presses the shutter release, you can see a little flash where the device mounts to the pop-up (i.e., the pop-up is firing). Hope this helps.

I don't think the battery issue would matter as I'm guessing the type of fiber optic lighting or whatever uses very little power. I personally would like to not have to monitor two sets of batteries (flash and camera).

NateS, to further clarify, it is my understanding that the light source is the pop-up flash on the camera. The optical fibers transmit the light generated by the pop-up so that it can be aimed at subjects near the front of the lens.

Watch the video again and you can see that he opens the pop-up before mounting the device. I am guessing that the hot shoe attachment is merely mechanical (no electrical contact), to hold the unit near the pop-up. When he presses the shutter release, you can see a little flash where the device mounts to the pop-up (i.e., the pop-up is firing). Hope this helps.

Think you're right...in which case, there is no way on earth that this would put enough light out for my type of work...especially when splitting the tiny light into 2 sources.

Think you're right...in which case, there is no way on earth that this would put enough light out for my type of work...especially when splitting the tiny light into 2 sources.

I don't doubt that. Nevertheless, it looks like a fun gizmo and I would enjoy the opportunity to play around with one.

The popup flash can out put enough light for 1:1 macro photography if its guided and focused down close to the lens end. I've no idea how much light is lost through the fibre optics, but even a simple "snoot" type diffuser can funnel and push the popupflash light to allow basic flash macro photography.

The popup flash can out put enough light for 1:1 macro photography if its guided and focused down close to the lens end. I've no idea how much light is lost through the fibre optics, but even a simple "snoot" type diffuser can funnel and push the popupflash light to allow basic flash macro photography.

While you have a point...that also depends on the working distance at 1:1 and my working distance for 1:1 can sometimes be in the range of 2-3 feet which is going to be quite a task for the pop-up to do without being very harsh lighting.

I will agree that it looks like a fun tool to play around with and could have some potential...interested in what the price is planned to be.

I believe dedicated macro shooter will not buy this simply because the end result may not be what he/she is looking for.

For a casual shooter, he/she may use it. But they are not going to spend a lot of money for it.

Most reactions

Back