Camera Left in the Cold?

amw3402

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
GAH! My husband forgot to grab my camera out of the car last night and my D40 spent the night in a cold car. :grumpy: We're in MN but luckily the car was in a garage and it wasn't freezing, it is cold though. The lens and everything fogged up when it was brought inside, but after about a 1/2 hour it *seems* to be fine...has anyone had experience with this? I'm just not sure what to check to be sure it's functioning properly besides just taking photos.

He tells me *I* need to be more careful :confused: I was in charge of the baby, he was in charge of hauling stuff in! haha.

Thanks everyone!

Let it aclimate. Turn the heat on in the car, and just bring the temp up little by little.
At any rate, cameras are tough little things, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Have a read through this thread and see if it answers any of your concerns. I remembered reading this and somewhere else about transitioning your camera between extreme temperature changes. I used "ziplock" as a keyword search because that stuck in my brain, but you could try other keywords to get the info closer to your needs.

It's fine as long as condensation doesn't form on the electronics.
Next time though put it in a bag of some description before you bring it inside, and leave it in the bag for half an hour or so so the temperature change doesn't cause condensation.

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I probably should've left it in the bag but I pulled it out right away...well luckily it seems to be working just fine! I'll keep the information for the future but hopefully I won't need to use it! ;)

same thing happens to me if i'm out shooting in snow for a while and come inside. I wouldnt worry TOO much about it. i would think that manufacturers would take climate into consideration when designing the camera so it can deal with little things like that. welcome to the forum, from a fellow MN photographer!

It's fine as long as condensation doesn't form on the electronics.
Next time though put it in a bag of some description before you bring it inside, and leave it in the bag for half an hour or so so the temperature change doesn't cause condensation.

Not true. Electronics are fine if they get a little condensation on them as long as you don't turn them on at this point.
The problem lies in the moisture getting into your lens, and causing mold to grow. You don't want that.

Most reactions

Back