Camera/Lens for portrait work?

Do you know what happens when you process is less than perfect shot? It becomes even more less than perfect.

When you put it that way it makes perfect sense.

I was looking at Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 for price. No good?

the Sigma 28-70 is not a super lens, stick with the primes and move your feet.

Prior to a FF digital camera, all professionals were getting excellent results with the smaller sensor camera's. Are we saying now that it is not possible without a FF camera?

To the OP....it's your clients opinion that count. If you can get that "perfect" exposure, and able to "capture the moments" with the kids, that's all parents would ask for. Don't mortgage your house, and don't over think it.

Prior to a FF digital camera, all professionals were getting excellent results with the smaller sensor camera's. Are we saying now that it is not possible without a FF camera?

To the OP....it's your clients opinion that count. If you can get that "perfect" exposure, and able to "capture the moments" with the kids, that's all parents would ask for. Don't mortgage your house, and don't over think it.

Whew! Right, right. I need to stop overthinking this. Every time I come to a "definite" conclusion about what to buy I get more suggestions taking me in a different direction. Don't get me wrong. I very much appreciate everybody's input!!

I hope this doesn't sound insincere or scammy, but my thinking is that parents pretty much love any pics of their kids. Unless they themselves are pros they likely won't know if the pics are perfectly exposed. This is not to say I won't strive for perfection, but when snapping kids you can't expect full cooperation either. I figure it's gotta be *easier* to (eventually) make a living from parents of little ones than another genre. Thoughts?

So, regarding prime lenses and shooting children - can it become a problem having to change out lenses considering kids' short attention span? Is it more practicle to use a zoom for these types of portraits (themed sets photos)?

Not meaning to sound snide, but how long do you plan on taking to change a lens? I can change lenses in about 5 or 6 seconds when I need to. In a studio, all your gear will be at hand, so I really don't see this as the issue you're thinking it is.

So, regarding prime lenses and shooting children - can it become a problem having to change out lenses considering kids' short attention span? Is it more practicle to use a zoom for these types of portraits (themed sets photos)?

Not meaning to sound snide, but how long do you plan on taking to change a lens? I can change lenses in about 5 or 6 seconds when I need to. In a studio, all your gear will be at hand, so I really don't see this as the issue you're thinking it is.

LOL! Good point.

I had the Nikon D90 and have since switched to the Canon camp with the Canon 50D so ill offer my 2 cents here for what's it worth though I dont want to get into a Nikon vs. Canon battle lol

I switched couse wanting to get into fashion and fine art I figured Canon had more choices plus was drawn to the usual higher MP of there cameras. I have found that though this has been slightly true I really miss my Nikon D90. And for what you are wanting to do I think I would put it a notch or two above the 50D. It delievers outstanding image quality and I seldom ever see the extra MP from the Canon. This is not to say the 50D is a bad camera. I love the build and if you keep the ISO down a bit it to can nail some great Photos. Just takes a bit more learning. Plus for the life of me I cant get use to there button aragments I fond Nikon is far superior here. Everything right where they should be. Canon it's anyone guess where that button is lol. Oh well, both are terrific cameras so either would work great. Lenses are where you will want to focus most of your attention. For me the best lens for pure portiat work if I was to pick just one would be the Tamron 60 F/2 macro. This is a easy choice as with a crop sensor camera like the D90 and 50D it puts me right in the range I want. Usually for this kind of photography 85-135 is what you want for basic 3/4 head shots and such of course there are times you will want to go with a different Focal legnth so for wider I will usually use the Takina 12-24. I might use this on candids and groups. On my Nikon D90 I also had Tamrons 70-200 F/2.8 lens and loved it also. I think its a great deal for the price with image quality that competes with both the Nikon and Canon versions that coast a great deal more. Unfortantly the AF speed wont and of course you have no IS. On a budget its the 70-200 to get and found them to be much better than say Sigma's version. I will be getting a new one soon in which case I just might go with the Canon one if I can save back the money.

I hope this will help you decide. Sure each maker has great lenses for there system and there are tons to choose from but I believe these 3 will serve you best starting with the 60. Canon also has a fantastic 85 F/1.8 that would work real good here to, but I favor the Tamron more flexible and love the Macro feature. Also that 85 can only be used on Canon cameras for some odd reason lol. Well I think I will stop rambling on for now best of luck to you on whatever you decide.

I hope this doesn't sound insincere or scammy, but my thinking is that parents pretty much love any pics of their kids. Unless they themselves are pros they likely won't know if the pics are perfectly exposed. This is not to say I won't strive for perfection, but when snapping kids you can't expect full cooperation either. I figure it's gotta be *easier* to (eventually) make a living from parents of little ones than another genre. Thoughts?
If you don't take real pride in your work or your final product, why would people choose you over going to The Picture People in the mall or Sears Photo Studio? Parents buy $150 digital P&S cameras to take snapshots of their kid. They take them to studios for good-looking results. If you want to make a living off of doing portraits of small children, you're not doing yourself any favors with that attitude.

Most of them were using MF film cameras :lol::lol:

If you don't take real pride in your work or your final product, why would people choose you over going to The Picture People in the mall or Sears Photo Studio? Parents buy $150 digital P&S cameras to take snapshots of their kid. They take them to studios for good-looking results. If you want to make a living off of doing portraits of small children, you're not doing yourself any favors with that attitude.

You missed my point. Of course I want to take pride in my work. that's why I'm here asking the experts for advice. But if I can't yet have top of the line equipment and have to make do with less than perfect, parents are an easier customer only because their kids look adorable to them whether or not the shot is perfect. And I do plan to turn out far better work than Sears (in time).

Last edited:

Medium format film is a larger capture area than 24x36, and as such, it gives a shallower depth of field at each and every angle of view. Please parse that statement carefully: A) shallower depth of field at B)every angle of view. Medium format film is larger than most of today's medium-format digital backs, which are much larger than "Full Frame Digital" or FX digital, which is roughly 24x36mm sensor size.

Somebody said that professionals did excellent work before FF digital: not quite. They did 'acceptable' work using crop-sensor digitals, but the majority of serious,higher-end pros went to FF digital as soon as they could, because it brings back 1) lens focal lengths to the angles of view they learned on and 2) it provides less depth of field at each ANGLE OF VIEW and so 3) FF digital gives better subject/background isolation potential on every photo op.

One of the things consumers equate with professional photos is the ability to take , "a clear shot with a soft, fuzzy background." I used to shoot in a portrait studio 5/8,and that is one of the things many higher-end consumers expect to see: foreground/background isolation. Medium format excels at that. 24x36 is pretty good at that. Indoors, APS-C sucks at that, and the work that comes out of an APS-C camera on things like groups shots, looks substandard to me, compared with work shot on MF film,MF digital, or 24x26 film or digital. if you want your work to LOOK BETTER than the cheap-o places, you need to start with the right tool: a camera designed for the lens system the maker markets, and not a temporary stop-gap size format that was all makers could manage to create until a few years ago.

Medium format film is a larger capture area than 24x36, and as such, it gives a shallower depth of field at each and every angle of view. Please parse that statement carefully: A) shallower depth of field at B)every angle of view. Medium format film is larger than most of today's medium-format digital backs, which are much larger than "Full Frame Digital" or FX digital, which is roughly 24x36mm sensor size.

Somebody said that professionals did excellent work before FF digital: not quite. They did 'acceptable' work using crop-sensor digitals, but the majority of serious,higher-end pros went to FF digital as soon as they could, because it brings back 1) lens focal lengths to the angles of view they learned on and 2) it provides less depth of field at each ANGLE OF VIEW and so 3) FF digital gives better subject/background isolation potential on every photo op.

One of the things consumers equate with professional photos is the ability to take , "a clear shot with a soft, fuzzy background." I used to shoot in a portrait studio 5/8,and that is one of the things many higher-end consumers expect to see: foreground/background isolation. Medium format excels at that. 24x36 is pretty good at that. Indoors, APS-C sucks at that, and the work that comes out of an APS-C camera on things like groups shots, looks substandard to me, compared with work shot on MF film,MF digital, or 24x26 film or digital. if you want your work to LOOK BETTER than the cheap-o places, you need to start with the right tool: a camera designed for the lens system the maker markets, and not a temporary stop-gap size format that was all makers could manage to create until a few years ago.

As used by the likes of David Bailey,Duffy
The Classic Camera/ Rolleiflex

Canon 50D it has a much stronger build and will hold better as it is designed for pro use. I love mine!

Most reactions

Back