Camera Lens - Newbie

danieljdavies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Im new to the forum and this is my first post. Sorry if its a silly question.

I recently received a Nikon D750 as a gift and also a separate lens with it. The lens is a (Tamron AF 16-300 mm f3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro Lens for Nikon Camera). Could somone tell me if this lense is suitable for the camera before I open it from the packaging?

I start my beginners photography course in January, so I dont know much

Regards
Dan

Does it say "for Nikon" anywhere on the package?

I think you already gave the answer.

Does it say "for Nikon" anywhere on the package?

I think you already gave the answer.

someone told me it may not work properly because my camera is full frame? and the lense may not be compatible
like i said im new so what would i know??

BAD advice above! in posts 2 and 3! The lens is designed for APS-C digital SLR cameras....you'll be wasting much of your D750's capabilities with this lens. The lens will cover ONLY the APS-C size image...

Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Lens

I would return it and get something better.

It is apparently designed for an APS-C sensor size, according to Google. It will work on the D750 however you will need to use it in "DX Mode" on the camera (assuming it has that mode) or you will see some vignetting in the corners.

Edit ... Derrel beat me to it. I was writing when he posted.

It is apparently designed for an APS-C sensor size, according to Google. It will work on the D750 however you will need to use it in "DX Mode" on the camera (assuming it has that mode) or you will see some vignetting in the corners.

Edit ... Derrel beat me to it. I was writing when he posted.

thanks guys
could you recommend an alternative lens thats similar?

Well..it is an 18x range zoom lens....there really is not a lot I can think of that is "equivalent" to this lens, which is a super-wide-ratio "superzoom" design, but there are some alternatives, depending on what budget and what the end-results desired happen to be.

Off the top of my head I would say the Nikkor 24-120 VR is a sort of similar tool: a wide, moderate wide angle, short normal, normal, short tele, moderate telephoto, all-in-one or walkabout type zoom lens. The Nikkor is the newer VR incarnation of an older 24-120 design.

The new 24-85 AF-S VR-G Nikkor zoom is another option; it was Nikon's very own choice for many full-frame body + zoom kits.

Nikon company itself makes some similar-number, wide-ranging superzooms, like their own 28-300mm VR lens, which DOES cover the full sensor frame of your D750. Go here and take a look and see how well this lens can do on 36 million pixels:Nikon 28-300mm VR Review

Keep in mind, the "old" single focoa length lenses for cameras with full-frame size film were 20mm,24mm,28mm,35mm,50mm,and then 70mm as the bottom end of zoom lenses (70-200mm or 70-300mm zooms), or the top end of zooms like the 35mm-70mm zooms; then the 85mm prime lens, 105mm prime lens, 135mm prime, 180mm prime, 200mm prime, 300mm prime. So...a 28-300mm zoom covers the 28-300mm range, or what used to be NINE separate, discrete, single focal length lenses: 24,35,50,85,105,135,180,200,300.

I would spend a couple days reading the Ken Rockwell lens reviews.

For example: the "old" 2000's era Nikkor 28-105mm AF-D lens....is a VERY capable, yet under $150 zoom lens that a full-frame camera like the D750 will work very,very well with. I've shot one on 24MP FX....it is a very capable yet very low-cost piece of kit to pick up used. Look at Rockwell's review of that zoom, maybe just BUY one from KEH.com.

O.K., if you can return it for full value and without insulting whoever gifted it to you, otherwise, just use it in "DX" mode, and purchase your own "FX" zoom when you can.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back