Camera/lens settings for macro

bs0604

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't tried taking macro pictures yet but I am planning on getting a Nikon 105 mm lens. In looking at a few of the posts in this section there are amazing pictures. But it would be helpful to a newbie to macros like myself, if also posted was the lens used and the settings utilized.

Macro is like any other medium of photography - there are no strict "Correct" settings to use for the field itself. Indeed thinking as such limits you as you end up only working toward a specific singular look to the photos.

So in short there isn't any magical settings, what there are however are a few guiding points depending upon what subject(s) you want to work with. So first up what are you thinking of shooting - bugs, flowers, rust? Also what gear do you have? Camera and lens yes, but flash tripod etc???

Since I almost always use either diffused Flash or my R1C1's... usually manual flash....F16 to F22, ISO 100 to 400, and shutters from 60 to 200. Change flash power as needed to fit what is wanted, what the subject is, what the ambient light is.. and what mood I am in!

Does that help?

Nikon 105mm micro is a great lens which I use with great pleasure.
Like cgipson I usually use the R1C1 flash, normal flashes not so much but that's more because I only just bought those and I still kind of lack in knowledge when it comes to flash. :p
The R1C1 does a great job with TTL for me usually, nothing too complicated. ^^

As for settings: Situations differ, but usually you're going to need small apertures to increase your DoF.
At f/8 your DoF still is crazy thin when working macro so expect to use a lot smaller. I usually range between f/11 and f22.
The small apertures are probably the biggest reason you're going to need a flash, especially if you're planning to shoot bugs and other moving objects.

I have both a tripod and a monopod, however I rarely use them for macro work.
Ok, that's not entirely true, I do use the monopod every once in a while for stationary things.
However I usually find them more of a hindrance then a help as they are big, get in the way, and slow me down. This is especially annoying when hunting bugs, tripods/monopods just don't do it for me there.

Most reactions

Back