camera mount that has multiple degrees of freedom

spacediver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm preparing to do some 1:1 imaging of a CRT screen, and am looking for some sort of system where I can slide the camera along all three axes, and also roll (and, if possible, pitch and yaw).

It doesn't need to slide by large amounts - maybe half a foot in each plane, and rolling doesn't have to be by a full 360 degrees.

Do any affordable solutions exist? What keywords should I be searching for? I'm willing to pay up to $200 if that's what it takes, but would much prefer a cheaper solution.

Would really appreciate any guidance!

You might get what you want in two focusing rails, although you might have to get creative in how you use them. They will give you side to side motion in controlled stages (they are used typically for macro in moving the lens closer and further from the subject in tiny distances). That with a 3way head would give you the motion you need for the shot - although I'm not sure if focusing rails will give you all the distance you need to cover (you might have to look for some extra long ones).

thanks for the replies. I like the idea of focus rails (never even knew about them).

I'm gathering that most of these mounting systems (focus rails, tripods, tripod heads) are all modular and work well together? I've never even owned a tripod (other than a small gorilla pod used with an old tiny video camera).

Yes they all use the same tripod mounting screw size (any that don't will oft ship with an adaptor - some tripods come with one as standard because the legs are sold without a head and some areas - eg video - use different sized screw threads as standard).

Sometimes you might find that a certain combination won't exactly line up neatly; but most of the time you can work around that and things should work.

Usually for 1:1 shots I am just using my tripod and move it into position. What I don't have and would help is a focusing rail with micro adjustment, that will help a lot if you have to be right on 1:1 scale. Most focusing rails I have seen are rather short, a Slider would cover the longer movements.

this might be a stupid question, but can a focusing rail or slider be used in conjunction with a tripod?

Most focusing rails can be mounted right to the tripod or more common on top of a ball head.

Focusing rails can and are designed to be used with a tripod and tripod head (I list the two because higher end tripods are sold separate to the heads - although many retail stores sell tripod and head kits).

Good luck finding focus rails that do pitch/yaw. Just moving the camera forward or backward, sure, but unless some new models came out within the last 1.5 years then I don't know if what you're looking for exists. Haven't even used my focus rails since I sold my MPE. I just have never needed it when 1:1 or 1:X.

Sent from my iPhone using Telekenisisisisis

Good luck finding focus rails that do pitch/yaw. Just moving the camera forward or backward, sure, but unless some new models came out within the last 1.5 years then I don't know if what you're looking for exists. Haven't even used my focus rails since I sold my MPE. I just have never needed it when 1:1 or 1:X.

Sent from my iPhone using Telekenisisisisis
You mount them on a tripod head that does that part.

Or you could mount a small ballhead onto the focusing rails between rail and camera and let that do the changes.

Or you could mount a small ballhead onto the focusing rails between rail and camera and let that do the changes.
The rails would likely get in the way of actually doing the camera rotation. The other way, the rails move with the camera.

At least, that's been my experience with them:

Macro_With_Tablet_Setup_0233_Spider_2282.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back