No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this EN
Website
www.lensmeister.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I was woindering is anyone a member of a club in their local area? And is it worth joining one?

I have a bout four clubs close by (well within a 30 minute drive) and I was wondering if it is worth me joining. Most are a one night a week thing but with a young family I tend to be tied up most nights.

Views anyone ?

Might be, all depends on the people that were in them I would imagine. If the people are cool and you like hanging with them, then go for it, otherwise, you'll probably not enjoy your time there.

I did the one here in Dallas for a while. But lost interest after a while. The competitions were fun and some of the speakers were great. If you have the time I say go for it

Yes, clubs are good but the only one near me that i know of is about an hours drive and its only for an hour or two, so not ive never been. Maybe i should attend. It might be a new experience.

Depends on what the club has to offer.

Sometimes club meets are just for picture critiques. Sometimes there are cheap beginner's classes. Sometimes there is access to darkrooms.

One club I belong to is useless. All it offers is some "photo challenges" and then they select the winners from 4-5 people who actually submitted pictures.

The other one provides access to equipment. A few BW enlargers, 2 color enlargers, a color processing unit, scanner, neg scanner, slide scanner and all the chemicals you can use... also some classes if you want to join. One annual fee.

So find out what you pay your money for.

there is one photo club around here, but ive never been interested in going. I guess ill have to go down one night and just have a look what they do, i know they go on photo shoots with the whole club- but that dosent interest me at all because ive always preffered shooting alone (or with another friend) a group of people dosent seem right to me,

The is probably the easiest and most diverse photo club available isn't it!

Where else can you pop in anytime you like, never miss anything, have photo challenges and competitions, Talk to photographers all over the world and see their photos and get amature and professional advice in your lunch hour! ?

"I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me as a member". That said, this is sort of a club and it's a very cool place to be compared to my local photography clubs - they're populated by arrogant, stuck-up, middle-aged, middle-class, committee-running, rotarian, bad-jumper-wearing male geek fools who worry to the nth degree about inconsequential details and can't take a picture for toffee. They also only eat fish paste sandwiches on brown bread *shudder*

robhesketh said:
"I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me as a member". That said, this is sort of a club and it's a very cool place to be compared to my local photography clubs - they're populated by arrogant, stuck-up, middle-aged, middle-class, committee-running, rotarian, bad-jumper-wearing male geek fools who worry to the nth degree about inconsequential details and can't take a picture for toffee. They also only eat fish paste sandwiches on brown bread *shudder*

Heh - I was looking at the local photographic society website to see if I was interested, and they have shots of their members on there - I think I reached the same sort of conclusion :lol:

i have been a member of various clubs in UK and it really depends on the people and what the club expects to deliver to members.
so go along and give it a try

robhesketh said:

well I got to be honest here. That was my view of the clubs. Sort of Richard Briars in the good life.

Most reactions

Back