Camera problem or settings?

Wait, are we talking about the "model" pic or the living room pic?

Got it...thanks...so why do I see the same issue with the last photo at 400?

I don't see what issue you're talking about in the living room. MAybe if you do a 100% crop on the exact issue?

Never ever shoot in a studio on auto! You need to have the shutter fixed ideally on 1/125 or 1/60 which are the lowest you can have without motion blur, then shove it on a tripod for good measures. If you have enough modelling lights then you can use a high aperture as well, and still have it on iso 100. your white balance needs to be corrected for the background as the images look too yellow, and you should use a white sheet not a pink one, as the light will reflect off the background and back onto the subject.

The 'auto' shot was not in a studio setting. I took another shot in my living room as an example of the grain issue I am trying to fix.

The 100% crop that you posted is just plain ol' image noise. Generated from shooting at ISO400, and even more prominent at ISO 1600.

Are you editing on a laptop, by chance?

Thanks Tyler...Yes, Mleek...on a laptop with paintshop pro 4x

That's your problem right there. Laptop displays don't have the ability to display the full gamut of color and you are seeing the banding that happens because of it. It's not really there. If you must edit on a laptop the only way to see the real image is going to be to add an external monitor to it. This is just one of the many, many reasons that editing on a laptop is NOT a good mix.
To help matters a bit you can make sure you are in sRGB for your colorspace. If you are in any of the others it will be even worse than it is with sRGB. It's going to happen no matter what you are using, but the larger gamut colorspaces will be even worse.

I have an issue with my camera that only occurs from time to time.

Usually if not always in low light conditions, I sometimes get a vertical banding on a portion of the right side of my shot. It's usually one big band with sort of a criss-cross pattern in it. I have a few thoughts on it but would really like some ideas as to what this might be and if it may be something that can be fixed.

I have an issue with my camera that only occurs from time to time.

Usually if not always in low light conditions, I sometimes get a vertical banding on a portion of the right side of my shot. It's usually one big band with sort of a criss-cross pattern in it. I have a few thoughts on it but would really like some ideas as to what this might be and if it may be something that can be fixed.

And the photo demonstrating this issue is where?

Can't diagnose if we can't see it.

Most reactions

Back