Camera Pros, I need your help ;-)

magnus28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I just purchased this camera at a yard sale, and was wondering of it's resale value?

I know the camera is a good brand, but I think the lens is twice as valueable as the camera itself.

the camera is: Minolta 7000 Maxxum AF
the lens is: Tamron AF Aspherical XR [IF] 28-200mm
the lens filter is a Samigon haze 62mm (UV)

please tell me how much you think the whole camera + lens is worth and specify in Canadian or American dollars....

thanks!

To determine the market value of a camera or lens I look at completed auctions on Ebay.

To determine value for insurance or tax purposes I see what these places sell it for:

www.keh.com

www.mpex.com

KEH is a good place to get an idea of the value because they are a huge used camera seller so if their prices are a good standard and they give ratings of the cameras verses the price.

One thing though, on the camera where the name is are the xx's in maxxum criss crossed or do they just follow one another?

If they are criss crossed that is one of the first 7000's which is one of the earliest AF bodies. Minolta was threatened with a law suit by exxon for using what they called a trademark infringment exxon owns the criss crossed xx's so they started producing the camera with normal lettering.

the criss crossed name body might be more valuable to collectors I don't think it makes a big difference in the actual value unless it has changed in the last few years. If not the lens is probably worth more than the camera body.

BernieSC said:
One thing though, on the camera where the name is are the xx's in maxxum criss crossed or do they just follow one another?

No, the letters are exactly like maxxum.

I visited the 2 sites mentioned , the keh site had 4 options for the minolta 7000
CR2
CR2 [xx]
4/AA
4/AA [xx]

how do I know which one is mine?
I have checked all over my camera- none of these markings exist.

also for the Tamron aspherical AF [IF] 28-200 mm,

is my lens a...
aspherical ld internal focus (72) with hood/requires adaptall
aspherical ld internal focus (72)super /requires adaptall

????

also, feel free to give me a quote on what you think the camera + lens is worth...
although, appreciated, I don't find the 2 websites very helpful..

magnus28 said:
I visited the 2 sites mentioned , the keh site had 4 options for the minolta 7000
CR2
CR2 [xx]
4/AA
4/AA [xx]

I'm not sure about the [xx], but it may have something to do with the stuff BernieSC is talking about. I had forgotten about that Exxon deal, but I remember when that happened.

The CR2 and 4/AA sounds like what batteries the body uses. Just see if it uses AAs or little CR2 batteries.

I was assuming that the 4/aa means batteries etc.. but i'm a noob to the industry, so I assume I know nothing...

thanks for the imput though everyone..

I have taken this information so far, combined with the prices both items are going for on the internet....
and surmised that the approximate resale value of the Camera+Lens is $200-$250 U.S.D.

so what's that Canadian? ... ummm..er... $260-$325 cdn

so anybody think thats a good asking price?

The 7000 is worth $50 tops. Its first generation AF and about 20 years old. Tee lens, if it is a newer series would be worth about $150.

i beg to differ..

I am a noob to cameras..

but as I have mentioned in my previous post, I have checked out sites to ascertain it's value..

I saw 3 maxxum 7000's going on e-bay for $108, $76, and $120

one had no lense, and the other 2 were crappy compared to mine..

so even taking the lowest selling price of $76 , and adding the lens that I have, it is safe to assume that I should have no problem getting $200 for the lot right?

I may have to ask, on what level do you enjoy photography? For instance spending 200 hundred US dollars on photo gear is a mere "drop in the bucket" on my end. If I was to buy a camera for my purposes it would be upwards of thirteen hundred dollars. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. To confuse matters even more; the internet has opened markets only dreamed of.

Just telling the view from my end. God knows it may not be correct. I looked at your link and the text states that Tamron is leading edge. Sounds like your mind may be made up?

CR2
CR2 [xx]
4/AA
4/AA [xx]

that means when that camera was made when lithum batteries were still new to the market so minolta made that camera to use 4 AA batteries but there was an optional grip cover which is where the batterys go to use one cr2 lithum battery so you could use a lithum or 4 AA's.

What i was talking about is the way minolta lettered the name on the front of the camera. The first models had MAXXUM with criss crossed xx's like exxon but they had to change and use standard lettering.

Also as far as it not being a good camera I would rather have one of the first maxxums,7000,8000,9000. Those are much better than the junk minolta makes now. The only problem is you might have a trouble finding a flash for the 7000 since minolta chose to screw their customers and come out with some odd ball hot shoe for their later and current models.

craig said:
I may have to ask, on what level do you enjoy photography? For instance spending 200 hundred US dollars on photo gear is a mere "drop in the bucket" on my end. If I was to buy a camera for my purposes it would be upwards of thirteen hundred dollars. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. To confuse matters even more; the internet has opened markets only dreamed of.

I've spent plenty of money on photography, but I'd go up against any $1300 camera with my $150 Rolleiflex 8) The camera I use on a daily basis cost $30. It ain't always about the money. :wink:

Most reactions

Back