Camera purchasing advice

colney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm looking to buy a new camera, and I don't have too much money to spend so I need some advice on the best purchases. I currently own a entry-level Canon SLR, but am considering switching to Nikon. I like my Canon (especially the low-light capabilities -- I shoot a lot of theater), but I have worked a good deal with the Nikons at my college's newspaper and generally enjoy the feel and function of those more.

I'll probably invest in a nice lens or two as well as the body, and (like most college students, I'm sure) I have no qualms about buying used. Right now I'm leaning towards a used D300 (that's right about in my price range) and a Nikon 55-200mm and possibly a 35mm f/1.8. Most of my work is for the newspaper -- so that means sports, theater, portraits, etc. I need a camera/lens that's reasonably fast and can produce high-quality photos.

Please let me know if you have any ideas!

D300 is a great body! On the lenses.. I would recommend the 70-300 VR over that 55-200, much better lens! Amazon.com: Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: NIKON: Camera & Photo You can find them used for reasonable prices.

Personally I don't like that 35 1.8, but some people do.

If you buy all FX lenses, you will get better Image Quality typically.. than what the DX lenses will give you. And FX lenses will also allow you to upgrade to an FX body later on, if you choose too.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back