Camera question

Matt.H

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been browsing around and looking at different kinds of cameras (Digital, obviously). I currently have a HP M415 which works fine for what I do, but I am looking to actually pursue Photography seriously and Would like to know what a good camera would be for an amatuer?

The Canon Digital Rebel XT SLR has seem to have caught my eye, but I know that there are alot more kinds out there.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

It all really comes down to how much you want to spend. It also helps if you tell us what you like to shoot. The Rebel XT is a great beginner/intermediate DSLR, and it comes at a very competitive price. I am a Canon guy, so I would definitely recommend a Rebel XT for the price. One downfall of the Rebel is the build quality, it just feels cheap, and it is a little too small for me.

oops ya, forgot to include that. I shoot, well everything but mainly Nature(Animals included)/Landscape

Rebel XT is a good camera. What is your budget? If you want to shoot landscape and nature things like how many frame a second the camera can do become less important. You might just want to get a digital rebel on ebay for less and put the extra money into nice lenses.

Budget $4000, at least, or you cannot do a decent DSLR justice. Anything less and you are just messing around with sub-par junk you are going to be dissatified with, in the long run. :er:

EOS 20D/30D ($1000-1300)
Ultra Wide Angle 10-24mm ($500)
Standard Zoom 17-50mm f/2.8, 28-75mm f/2.8 or 24-105mm f/4L ($400-$1200)
Tele Zoom 70-200mm f/4 or f/2.8, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ($600-$1200)
Good protective bag ($70-$200)
Filters (good ones) ($30/ea)
Tripod (solid, sturdy, holds 8lbs+) ($120-$180)
Flash w/ tele-range ($400)

I'm not making this up... check it out yourself. :sexywink: We're just gettin' started!

Well, lets just say if I had $4000 I would be starting college right now. Im not looking to go full blown right now. Im just tryin to upgrade a little bit.

DonSchap said:
Budget $4000, at least, or you cannot do a decent DSLR justice. Anything less and you are just messing around with sub-par junk you are going to be dissatified with, in the long run. :er:

EOS 20D/30D ($1000-1300)

I'm not making this up... check it out yourself. :sexywink: We're just gettin' started!

Are you joking?
I know very good photographers that do a whole lot at a fraction of your stated $4000 budget. yeh... I've got a bunch of fairly expensive lenses at my disposal but I could probably do 90% of what I do with significantly less. (I consider myself extremely fortunate and a hardworker) If expensive zooms are listed for the quest of image quality, I'm actually quite surprised that no primes were suggested. Calling all consumer level lenses junk is a big assumption....

Matt, the Canon Rebel XT is a great camera and so is the Nikon D50. I'd go to a camera shop and hold both in your hand to snap a few. Go to a couple reputable dealers and ask their opinions. It is very much a personal choice. Just remember, you are not just buying a camera but a system to grow into.

Another camera I would consider if I were on a tight budget would be Pentax. No... its not the top camera out there but it is compact (so you'll carry it around more), old Kmount manual lens compatibility (affordable excellent primes), and in camera image stability. But this is just my personal choice.

Don't forget used equipment as well.

oh and yes... save that $4000 for college... you'll benifit a whole lot more than just another camera.

DonSchap said:
And magnum photographer Alex Majoli produces some stunning work with sub-par consumer junk. Honestly cameras only matter to a point.

EOS 20D/30D ($1000-1300)

Someone who says they want to be an amateur doesn't need L series glass. Nor coverage from 10mm-300mm with fast glass.

Here's what you need. A Canon Digital Rebel ($400 on ebay) and a 50mm f/1.8 (<$70)

Thanks for the replies, Im liking this place more and more everytime I come here.

You don't need to spend $4000. That's ludicrous. Start with a camera, and one lens, and one memory card. Just get out there and start taking photos. There is no point in buying lenses to cover every focal length, when you are just starting out.

Yeah the $4000 price tag is bogus. Yes it would be nice to have a whole bunch of L lenses in every focal length, but you do not NEED them. If you are getting the Rebel XT you will have an 18-55 lens, and I would recommend getting a 50mm f/1.8 lens because it's very inexpensive and a great lens.

So you'll need between $400 and $1200 for the body, plus $70 for the extra lens (if you want it) and then another $100 for memory cards (estimated). I'd also recommend getting a camera bag, cause you don't want your $1000 investment to be get broken.

Go to a camera store and play around with their DSLR bodies to get the feel for which one you are comfortable with.

Yeah, no need for a bunch of pro glass right off. I just bought a film camera, and so far my $110 (brand-new, mind you) 50mm lens has been plenty for me (and zooming with my feet is giving me a lot of exercise!). In the short time I've had it, I've barely used my zoom lens, except at the zoo, since they wouldn't let me climb into the tiger enclosure to take pictures :lol: It was sleeping anyway....

My advice is, do your research! I didn't, and ended up with a KM z6. Don't get me wrong, it's a great camera, but now that I've taken some more pictures, I really wish I had some of the features that I would have gotten had I saved up for a DSLR. Like shutter speeds faster than 1/1000, interchangeable lenses, remote shutter release, aperture smaller than f/8, bulb setting, etc. If I could do it again, I would think about the features that I think I'll probably want in the future, and save up until I can afford a body with those features. In fact, that's what I intend to do once I convince my husband that I really do need another digital camera, which should only take about 5 years or so :lol:

If you aren't opposed to buying used, check out www.keh.com. That's where I bought my film setup and everything was in what I would call like-new condition, even if it was listed lower than that. No, I'm not affiliated with them, just really really impressed, plus you can get some really good deals without the hassle/worry of ebay.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back